Trouble starting my car

LostSoulx316

Contributor
:
2003 Protege5
Ok well I can't get my car to turn over and I had the starter tested an it's fine. I was thinking it might have something to do with the clutch relay/switch that allows you to start the car but have no clue if it's that or where this is located. If any of you could help me out that would be great

Also sometimes when I keep the key turned and pump the clutch a few times it engages and starts

Thanks
Matt

Look under the dash up at your clutch pedal you'll see a white box with what looks like a white button that's it 2 bolts hold it in

Ok so the clutch switch was not the problem. I don't get it io have power to everything but when I turn the key nothing happens ? Does anyone have any ideas of what could be the problem ?

When you turn the key to start it it's acts like I'm not even pushing the clutch in and iwill try that

Last edited:
Sounds like if you can work the clutch a couple times and sometimes it will start your clutch switch sounds bad.

Im on my lunch but you can bypass the switch with a jumper and see if the car starts then. just unplug the wires to the switch and put a jumper in. Carefull as the car will now start in gear. More details later. Gotta run

JT

Last edited:
he said that wasnt the problem. id say its the alarm box because i have issues from mine as well and have the same symptoms. except mine was hanging and pulling the cable to pop the hood would jolt it enough to let it start. no idea how that worked but its been ok since i zip tied it up where its supposed to be

I replaced the back clutch switch. But not the front one would that one have any thing to do with it ?? And where is the alarm box located

theres only one...
the alarm box is under the dash its a little black box youll have to look with a flash light

I replaced the back clutch switch. But not the front one would that one have any thing to do with it ?? And where is the alarm box located

To add to tweeties suggestion,

If you had it installed at some car audio place or most best buys chances are your alarm is just zip tied to a wire harness under there. look for zip ties lol. You can just completely unplug the brain which will be the big harness.

IF you see 3 thick wires coming out of the brain those are for your kill switch. If you decide that your alarm is faulty you'll have to rewire the ignition.

Just follow the wires of the killswitch and rematch the colors of where the wires were cut and your killswitch will be disabled.

Before you go through all this trouble though id try the jumper method on the clutch pedal like jtlima said

I had this issue, and it ended up being corrosion on the battery cables. The exposed terminals looked fine, but when I cut back the shielding on the cables, I had a ton of corrosion. My accessories powered fine, but the starter couldn't pull enough power to get the car to turn over. Give them a quick look over.

Back