"Actuator Control Valve is sticking"....

katenabi

:
2002 Mazda Miata SE
The dealership diagnosed my 2002 Miata by saying the "actuator control valve is sticking". I was quoted $1600 to replace the oil control valve and variable timing actuator. There is a TSB for this issue, I believe, unfortunately I am wayyy out of warranty. Is there any place or way to fix this cheaper? and where could I buy JUST the two parts (also, how much are JUST the two parts)? Thank You in advance :)

also, is it safe to drive around town until I can fix it or is this a DO NOT TOUCH until fixed sort of affair?

www.onlinemazdaparts.com

Unfortunately, I don't know the VVT system on the Mazdas very well, but on my Honda I had a problem with the VTEC solenoid. I drove like that for about 2 months until I got a new one and found the problem. You may be able to take your time, but performance will be hindered.

Thank you for your time! I have ben driving like this for like five months (awful, i know).. i have definetly noticed a change in daily driving performance.. haha

Ummm, I don't know why you'd post in f.i. about the VVT actuator :dunno: But to replace the actuator on the valvecover isn't all that hard. I'm guessing that upon startup at time, you get a loud squealing. Only on cold start at that...and it's not like belt squeal but more of a metal on metal squeal. Right? My old enigne used to do this and after talking with a few people, they reported that it would be a broken/stuck VVT actuator. I ended up replacing the engine before fixing the VVT stuff. I have had all that stuff apart before and it's not hard to do....you just have to be careful of the small strainer getting lost when you pull the oil feed line off the actuator. I know of many reputable used Mazda parts people that will sell you the stuff much cheaper...just do a quick google search.

Back