Not official but might be picking up a 2012 Mazda Speed3 this afternoon

It's not official yet but there's a high chance that I may be picking up a new 2012 Mazda MazdaSpeed3 with Tech Package this afternoon. But they have two colors in stock; red and gray. Not sure which color to get, and really haven't figured out how much more I would need to pay for insurance for the Speed3 over the 2012 Mazda5 GT that I have picked up about 3 weeks ago.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated!

Definitely gray! But that's just my opinion, you need to get whatever color you like best. I went out of my way to get a white one and had the dealer get one from another state for me.

As far as the insurance, that's going to depend on your unique situation and insurance carrier. When I first got my '09 speed3 I was really surprised at how low the insurance was on it (cheaper than my RSX Type S I traded in). I think state farm classifies it as a 5 door wagon. It went up a couple bucks a month for the '12 one over the '09, but not sure why that is. Call your insurance company, they should be able to quote it for you over the phone.

Go with the red one for sure (I'm a fan of read as you can see by my sig).

Happy to hear that you decided to go with the MS3 by the way.

Hey thanks Tyrdstorm. I was sort of leaning towards gray also. Red just seem to attract a lot of things... especially cops LOL. If it was a weekend car, I'd definitely get a red one. But being that this is my daily commuter, I think it's in my best interest and license points to go with gray one. Let's see what the dealer saids.. they are already calling my lien holder for payoff.

Definitely gray! But that's just my opinion, you need to get whatever color you like best. I went out of my way to get a white one and had the dealer get one from another state for me.

As far as the insurance, that's going to depend on your unique situation and insurance carrier. When I first got my '09 speed3 I was really surprised at how low the insurance was on it (cheaper than my RSX Type S I traded in). I think state farm classifies it as a 5 door wagon. It went up a couple bucks a month for the '12 one over the '09, but not sure why that is. Call your insurance company, they should be able to quote it for you over the phone.

Last edited:
I know, I love red too. My neighbor had an '04 or '05 Mazda 3 hatchback and it was red. It always made me want to buy one, it drove nice and it had black interior. For some reason, this Speed3 red seemed darker... it's not a bright red like '04-'05.
Go with the red one for sure (I'm a fan of read as you can see by my sig).

Happy to hear that you decided to go with the MS3 by the way.

Go for the red one!! its a thing of beauty as you can see...

attachment.php

Any choice of color is great... fun little car this is...

Okay, you're right, red one is too cool to pass up. I'll tell them I'm taking the red one, that's the one I originally wanted anyway. Oh yeah, BTW, that hood scoop is awesome looking too. Always wanted put that on my red '88 Ford Mustang GT! I can't believe that the 4 cyl engine can actually pump out more horsepower than my 8 cyl H.O. 5 liter engine I had on my Mustang. But the Mustang had more torque -- 300 ft/lb.
Go for the red one!! its a thing of beauty as you can see...

Any choice of color is great... fun little car this is...

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken the 04-05 Mazda3 red was Velocity Red Mica which is the same color that the '12 Speed3 will be. Good choice though it is a very sexy color. Make sure you post pictures when you pick that bad boy up.

Well, I don't want to count the chickens before they hatch. Yes, if I do wind up getting it and deal in my favor, I sure will. I've taken out the non-permanent addition that I put on the last few weeks such as my HAM radio and the VHF/UHF antenna mount. Still have my Valentine1 connected up but although it's hardwired, it will take less than 5min to remove as I used a fuse adapter on the accessory fuse holder. Other than that, I'm ready to hit the road to the dealer. I hope this goes through, I should have asked them to test drive the Speed3 first rather than the M5 but only if I knew I was going to pick up the CX9 GT a week later. Funny how life's events changes course so unexpectedly and in a way you'd never possibly imagined.

This is the second time I bought a car thinking of my wife than I wind up getting a nice car for her and the family and then myself getting something that was never meant to be in the first place. :)

If I'm not mistaken the 04-05 Mazda3 red was Velocity Red Mica which is the same color that the '12 Speed3 will be. Good choice though it is a very sexy color. Make sure you post pictures when you pick that bad boy up.

Last edited:
I didn't go through with the deal, will be losing too much money. I will probably wait for the right timing. Probably in the February-March time frame. It would be losing over $2600 in the trade plus I would need to get new wheels/winter tires because the Speed3 comes with Summer shoes. Now we're talking close to $4000 to do the trade.

We just got dumped on big time, not knowing drove 50 miles plus from my house but the M5GT handled great in snow. Maybe because it's new all season tires. Then I came home drove the CX9 up a steep hill near my house... my jaws dropped, AWD is amazing.
So what did you get?

Back