3 Tires in 10 days

dishe

:
'07 Mazda 5 & '05 Mazda 3i
I guess you could chalk this up to bad luck, but I've owned many vehicles in my day and never had as many tire problems with one car as I do with my Mazda5.

I was already aware of the negative camber issue that prematurely wears out the rear tires- I did my research and knew that before buying the car. But it would be nice if any of my tires actually lasted that long!

A year ago I replaced all 4 with Sumitomos at a local tire shop, as I had just bought the car used and wanted a fresh start. A few months later, one of my front tires developed a bubble on the sidewall. I went to replace it and decided to do it in pairs, replacing the front two tires with Kumhos. About 10 days ago, one of my front tires blew out without warning. Replaced with another Kumho and while I was at it rotated the tires around. Then, on a 200 mile trip, I ended up with a nail in another tire. I get those rather often unfortunately, but this time it was so close to the sidewall that it was not patchable- another tire needing replacement.

Then just last night, on my way back from the trip I noticed a nice sized gash on one of my Kumhos in the back. Still holding air, but what the heck is going on with these tires??

I've owned about seven vehicles and never had to replace tires prematurely this often! I was aware that the tires on the 5 were one of its weaknesses, but I didn't expect this! Is this style of tire more fragile than normal?

How are the roads where you are driving? Maybe go with a taller sidewall tire size? Or even go to a 16" wheel/tire combo.

(OH and with the luck you have had, I would recommend that you get the ROADHAZZARD WARRANTY insurance on your next tires!)
(boom06)

It's odd that the only time I've ever had a sidewall bubble was on the Mazda5. With brand new Continental tires with only 1,000 miles on them. I thought it was a fluke. I don't see how a tire problem like that could be vehicle related, but now I wonder. Well, at least I got the tire shop to throw in free replacement warranties on the tires.

We've had a sidewall bubble on one of our stock Toyo's for 20k miles now. Doesn't bother me at all.

It's unfortunate what you're dealing with, but what you describe doesn't sound like a vehicle issue. The blowout was probably because of collecting something while driving and compromising the integrity of the tire without you even realizing it as well.

As stated, get the road hazard warranty because your roads sound terrible.

It's odd that the only time I've ever had a sidewall bubble was on the Mazda5. With brand new Continental tires with only 1,000 miles on them. I thought it was a fluke. I don't see how a tire problem like that could be vehicle related, but now I wonder. Well, at least I got the tire shop to throw in free replacement warranties on the tires.

Indeed, I had never heard or seen it before on any of my 7 vehicles owned over the last 15 years. My father-in-law mentioned seeing it once on a rental van before, and an internet search shows that there are many questions regarding what to do about sidewall bubbles. I guess it does happen to other people on other cars as well. But isn't it odd that so many of us find it on the Mazda5 who never had before?
I am under the impression that the style of tire Mazda chose is an uncommon one compared to other tires. Perhaps it is not the most robust design? Or perhaps because it is so uncommon, they haven't perfected it as much as others? I don't know, its bizarre.

I'll admit that this appears to be mostly bad luck on my part. Just makes you think.

if anything, I would say it's the choice Mazda made to put 50 series tires on what is basically a family car. it's a very low profile tire and if you're used to driving cars w/ taller tires, you really have to change your habits. they ARE more prone to road damage.
I'm going through this too; I blew out one of my year old Continentals recently on a pothole. got it replaced under the road hazard warranty, BUT then I noticed the rear tire on the same side (which I guess also caught the pothole) now has a sidewall bubble!
I love the way the 5 handles w/ low profile tires so I don't want to run 16" wheels (which would allow you to run taller tires) but I need to pay closer attention to road hazards.

sounds like some bad luck...

my wifes old corolla had 2 tires bubble (185/something/r14s)

they were cheap tires though.

Back