Buying a Mazda5 soon - What to look for when buying Pre-Owned?

FIREFOX

:
2002 Protege 5 in 22V
Like the title says, my wife and I are in the market for a Mazda 5, we are looking at the 2010s.

What are some things I should be looking for other than rust, weird noises, accidents?

Are there any issues or recalls I should be aware of for this model?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Not much to look for - that's why this forum is so dead. Anyway, the OE shocks/struts on this are POS, so look for blown units (bad) or aftermarket replacements (good) and since by 2010, nearly all will be automatics, get a good look at the tranny fluid - it will probably be black, so you want to try to get one that either has <30,000 mi on it so you can flush it or look for proof its been done within the 1st 50,000 of its life. Also, batteries go pretty fast on these, and totally w/o warning. There are better batteries for it than OE (or even OE-spec). Stick round here long enough and you will get to know all the ins and outs of the vehicle w/o even experiencing vehicle down time.

Thank you, guys.

The ones we are looking have very low mileage on them, one owner and well maintained, but even still, I want to know the problems or potential problems, if any. The only thing I've had to look after for my pre-owned 2002 Protege 5 (bought it 3 yrs old) was the EGR valve, other than that, it has been a very good car.

Anyway, looking to get one in either white or black, but leaning more towards a white one.

Thank you, guys.

The ones we are looking have very low mileage on them, one owner and well maintained, but even still, I want to know the problems or potential problems, if any. The only thing I've had to look after for my pre-owned 2002 Protege 5 (bought it 3 yrs old) was the EGR valve, other than that, it has been a very good car.

Anyway, looking to get one in either white or black, but leaning more towards a white one.

Overall ( as a 2006 owner and still driving it) I'd have to say they are EXTREMELY reilaible cars. I'm up to 170,000km and I've replaced my brakes (all 4 at around 130,00km) 3 of the 4 struts, but thats it! nothing needed but regular oil changes and maintenance. I still think the struts would have lasted longer if it hand't been for the deplorable stat of the roads around Toronto!!! I'm still on the Original everything else!! even the battery!! there are people on the forum that seem to burn through brakes, struts, and other parts, but I suspect those people would be doing that in any vehicle!

OEM tires are someting to watch for. they dont last very long and have very poor grip!

Most seem to end up with suspension creaks in the winter, but I think that is related to the bushin material used more than anything. It's a bit annoying but you get used to it! being light cars, they do tend to float a bit in the snow so a good set ot winter tires is a must. I've got Pirelli winter carving tires to that time of year and they are fantastic!

I've got an 08 5AT with 82k on it. Original battery and shocks/struts. I've had no problems other than the recalled PS pump. I have the tranny fluid changed every 30k or so for my own peace of mind. Tires are one of my few beefs with the van, as they don't that long(less than 40k) and they aren't cheap.

Ya...I plan to look at what everyone has mentioned thus far. As for tires...I will be getting winter tires for sure as the wife and baby will be using it. Wifey however does not know that there are plans for this ride. Hehe. That's not until summer though. Only things being done are springs and powdercoating of the stock wheels. Other than that, it will be stock.

What colors are in the running?

I really want to do RED if I get a black one, but I'll probably go gunmetal which I think always looks good on white or black. The same gunmetal as the 2008 Acura TL Type-S wheels.

We are now owners of a 2010 Mazda5, but not in white or black but in Galaxy Gray Mica. It only has 30,000 kms on it and it runs and looks like new.

The Brilliant Black and Crystal White Pearl ones were very nice as well, but I found the one we chose was overall the best of the lot. There was a blue one with leather interior and heated seats but I wasn't feeling the colour and it had a little more kilometers than I wanted in a used vehicle.

Very happy with the purchase and I look forward to picking it up next Saturday as my work schedule is crazy right now.

First thing on the list to do is rust proofing and tint.

In regards to modding...I will mod when things need to be replaced (example: springs). As for right now...wheels will be powdercoated over the winter. Seeing as the colour has changed from the original choices, I may do something different for the colour.

For lowering springs, I don't want to go too low, maybe an inch or so, I want better handling, but not compromise ride comfort. I read here that the H&R's are very good and the Teins are too low and too harsh of a ride. Any suggestions?

For tires, I'll probably not go anything lower than a 50 profile or higher if I can to help with the ride comfort.

We are now owners of a 2010 Mazda5, but not in white or black but in Galaxy Gray Mica. It only has 30,000 kms on it and it runs and looks like new.

The Brilliant Black and Crystal White Pearl ones were very nice as well, but I found the one we chose was overall the best of the lot. There was a blue one with leather interior and heated seats but I wasn't feeling the colour and it had a little more kilometers than I wanted in a used vehicle.

Very happy with the purchase and I look forward to picking it up next Saturday as my work schedule is crazy right now.

First thing on the list to do is rust proofing and tint.

In regards to modding...I will mod when things need to be replaced (example: springs). As for right now...wheels will be powdercoated over the winter. Seeing as the colour has changed from the original choices, I may do something different for the colour.

For lowering springs, I don't want to go too low, maybe an inch or so, I want better handling, but not compromise ride comfort. I read here that the H&R's are very good and the Teins are too low and too harsh of a ride. Any suggestions?

For tires, I'll probably not go anything lower than a 50 profile or higher if I can to help with the ride comfort.

You might want to hold off on the lowering springs. Around Toronto the roads are so bad I regularely scrape the front lip of my 5...and it's stock height. I'd hate to think of the damage that would have been done if the ride was even 1 inch lower!!!!!!

You might want to hold off on the lowering springs. Around Toronto the roads are so bad I regularely scrape the front lip of my 5...and it's stock height. I'd hate to think of the damage that would have been done if the ride was even 1 inch lower!!!!!!

Trust me, I know. My P5 is lowered 1.75" with a Mazdaspeed Protege front lip. I'm not planning on putting on a front lip, I actually like the way the front end is stock.

Finally picked up the Mazda5 yesterday...really happy with it. Looking to rust proof and pick up some winter tires and steelies now before the snow hits. Luckily I'm not in the States where some places already have snow. And they say Canada is cold! LoL

I'd post pics, but what's the point...I think everyone knows what the darn thing looks like. I'll definitely be powdercoating the wheels in black over the winter.

So does anyone have any suggestions on lowering springs with not too much of a drop? Much appreciated. Hoping to do this by spring when I put the summer wheels back on.

Paint the wheels rather than powdercoat. It weakens them. Plus I am sure that the alloys on the 5 are weak to begin with that's why people constantly complain about bending them. So painting is the way to go. But make sure you prep them before that.

Finally picked up the Mazda5 yesterday...really happy with it. Looking to rust proof and pick up some winter tires and steelies now before the snow hits. Luckily I'm not in the States where some places already have snow. And they say Canada is cold! LoL

I'd post pics, but what's the point...I think everyone knows what the darn thing looks like. I'll definitely be powdercoating the wheels in black over the winter.

Mazda does have a wheel cover for the winter steelies. I have them but where we are, black steelies
on vehicles during winter is becoming a status symbol. :).

First road trip in the books! Went to Montreal for the weekend. Comfy ride to say the least. Looking forward to more in the future with the family.

I've also decided to paint the wheels over powdercoating. Can't wait to do this. I can't wait for Spring and Winter hasn't even started yet.

It's too bad we are so far away from each other. I'd be willing to trade you my H&R springs for your OEM ones. I can't have my MZ5 down for a long time since it is my daily ride. Anyone near SoCal that wants to do this? Sorry for high jacking your thread.

It's too bad we are so far away from each other. I'd be willing to trade you my H&R springs for your OEM ones. I can't have my MZ5 down for a long time since it is my daily ride. Anyone near SoCal that wants to do this? Sorry for high jacking your thread.

That's okay.

How old are the springs? Approximate mileage on them? Are they sagging? What is the current drop amount now? What was the original drop amount? (if there was a change that is).

They actually ride very nice and smooth. I bought my MZ5 with them so idk how old they are. H&R website states 1.4" up front and 1.3" in the rear. That looks about right.

Back