Mfactory LSD: Did I get the right one?

Geezer000

I ordered a 28 spline Mfactory LSD and I recieved an LSD with the speedo gear installed and I count 26 splines. Did I get shipped the right one? Can anyone verify this for me.......

Attachments

• 100_2654.JPG
    100_2654.JPG
    896.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 100_2657.JPG
    100_2657.JPG
    762.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 100_2655.JPG
    100_2655.JPG
    720.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 100_2656.JPG
    100_2656.JPG
    748.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_2658.JPG
    100_2658.JPG
    700.9 KB · Views: 151
not 100% sure but i dont remember mine having those two large gaps where the 27 and 28 spline should be. it looks to me like you got the wrong one. if i am wrong someone please chime in.

also i don't recall the speedo gear being an option from mfactory with the 28 spline...i had to have mine put on by the trans shop.

edit: mine also did not come with the diff bearings installed.

yea. mine didnt have a speedo gear or bearings installed. i had to press off my original speedo gear.

it looks like that one was something someone already got, did some work on it. and returned it. its nice you dont have to go through all the work of pressing the speedo gear off, and pressing those bearings on. but the fact its used would drive me insane. id def write them an email.

It has G28 on the Bill... But that part number should be stamped on the unit as well..

if your really worried, grab a spare axle if you have one, or even a axle stub, and slide it in. if it slides in, its the correct one.

and i dont think the LSD's actually have any part #'s on them. i installed my Mfactory lsd last week, and never noticed any at least. but i wasnt really looking either.

i second the axle test...i would also email mfactory support with those pictures and have them double check with the same part no they have on the shelf just to be sure. like we have said its kinda odd that it came with the pink speedo gear and the bearings pressed on. just double check before you get everything together.

So it seems they originally sent this one to someone that needed a 26 spline with speedo gear and bushings but it is a 28 spline. So when they sent him a new one they sent me his. They also said that the 2 double wide splines make it a 28 spline. Would I be able to put it in with the speedo gear still on it or will I have to take it off? I don't want to have to take the bearings off if I don't have to.

Hmmm, Selling something that was basically sold and returned.... as BNIB is a bit "Grey" IMO.

MSP tranny's don't use speedo gears, they use the abs sensors. As long as the gear won't cause interference in the tranny i'll probably just leave it on.

ah. very true! totally forgot about that. i doubt it will have any issues. but you will know as soon as you sit that dif in the split case.

if you have the trans apart already, just sit it in there, and see if it seats on the bearing race or not. if it sits on the bearing race, and you can spin it. your good to go.

it wont interfere...i had to have the speedogear put on my trans cause im running off the 1.8L harness and ecu. msp gets the speedometer reading off the abs sensors whereas my ecu gets it from the speedo sensor, thus requiring the gear. you'll be fine.

it wont interfere...i had to have the speedogear put on my trans cause im running off the 1.8L harness and ecu. msp gets the speedometer reading off the abs sensors whereas my ecu gets it from the speedo sensor, thus requiring the gear. you'll be fine.

Thanks man!

no problem...you have any questions feel free to hit me up. im always hawking around here lol...have had my engine/trans apart a few times.

no problem...you have any questions feel free to hit me up. im always hawking around here lol...have had my engine/trans apart a few times.

This is my first time so we'll see how it goes......Replacing the LSD, stock Clutch, Flywheel, Front shocks, motor mounts, ALL brakes including rebuilt calipers, stainless brake/clutch lines, gauges. Should feel brand new again. With 182,000km's I guess all this is due to replace.

its actually pretty easy as long as you have a press. but since yours is already all together. you dont even need that. :)

so far ive done two m factory lsd installs, a quaife lsd install. a phantom grip lsd. 2 GTX 3rd gears swaps. and a par 3rd gear along with the par bearing cups. but i had to have a machine shop do all the machine work on the case to fit the bearing cups. all the local mazda guys kinda take advantage of me and my shop press. lol

i used to be way scared of digging into the trans. but in all truth its easier then rebuilding a motor. just keep everything in order, and in a clean spot. the gears all come out on the shafts still. so they just come right out.

I just received an mfactory LSD exactly like the one in the first post. Can someone confirm that it is indeed the correct one?

Can't really tell from this post if he's saying he got correct part.

So it seems they originally sent this one to someone that needed a 26 spline with speedo gear and bushings but it is a 28 spline. So when they sent him a new one they sent me his. They also said that the 2 double wide splines make it a 28 spline. Would I be able to put it in with the speedo gear still on it or will I have to take it off? I don't want to have to take the bearings off if I don't have to.

Last edited:
Back