Fastest klze swap?

I still like it. Lol

@Lewis....I'm sure he does get a little burnt out on that. I guess just the way he posted it rubbed me the wrong way. Nothing personal.

As far as the original post, my swap took me 1-1/2 months. heh-heh. But I think it's clean. But I wasn't rushing or timing myself. ;)

IMG_8900.jpg

Attachments

• wall626mps8009xx.jpg
    wall626mps8009xx.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 238
I honestly thought it would be much harder to do this then it really was. Kinda wanna do it again. lol

Love seeing MAF swaps all over the place now.

Last edited:
Well I'm using OBD2 Milly parts so the MAF is part of the deal.

This was my first real swap so it took a while for me to get things sorted out, especially the wiring. And not having a daily driver kinda sucked for runs to the JY and parts store. Thank god for good friends and my GF.

So you guys have your KL already running and everything is gravy now?

Just gotta install the tach converter and the exhaust next weekend. He drove it all over the place today though, open y-pipe and all. Not even a hiccup.
I have an almost unhealthy knowledge of the KL so that helps alot. Two years ago I pulled a ZE swap in my Probe in 4 1/2 hours if that says anything. (boom06)
The only real time consuming part was the wiring, mainly due to sketchy and scarce info. Once everything is completely done, Im going to make a writeup that shows how to completely eliminate the stock ECU and engine harness to make it all seamless and look like factory.

Ya know Lewis, your a step ahead with the MAF if you decide you need to boost... (burnout)

Last edited:
im jealous guys.. great job on that swap. i wish itll be as easy as it sounds for me in the future. i saw a miller cycle spankin perfect at the junkyard.

i wish my engine looked factory, but i taped my harness up after tearing it to pieces so it doesn't look to pretty for now

Thought I would toss a few more things up here while im waiting for it to get above freezing outside so we can run the exhaust.

This is the P5 radiator with the AC (passenger) side of the fan which was cut from the Probe assembly. One of the bolt holes will line up on the top of the radiator when the fan is turned on its side and just a regular 10mm head bolt secures it. Had to get a little creative with the bottom using the stock radiator mounting points. In this pic you can see the bolt and locknut has the end of the bolt on top of the shroud, while the slightly longer bolt and locknut actually go into a hole I drilled into the side of the shroud. The fan is VERY sturdy.
1020111904.jpg

You can see just how well the fan fits on the P5 radiator.
1020111904a.jpg

elecplug.jpg

There are really only two important outputs from this plug in the stock fusebox. One is the starter output, which is tapped into the Probe harness which allows the P5 to crank the motor, and key-on power, which I have controlling two relays that supply fused power to the injectors, ignition coil, and ECU. I removed all the extra wires from this plug. There was no wire in the plug at the key-on power position so I simply moved a wire in the plug to this position.

Threw an exhaust together for the Prote today. Half probe piping/ resonator, and the other half is stock protege with a 10 year old dual tip OBX-R muffler.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OoVSO6XgEU0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know I have not hooked it up yet and the P5 harness is completely un-powered. It does not come on at all, whether the car is running or not so it either because its not hooked up or the bulb is dead. lol. It is more than likely set up on a circuit that triggers the light to go off only after the voltage rises above 12.5-130v. It IS one of the things i will be looking into tomorrow when I take care of the tach, speedo, and oil lights. Ill keep you posted.

pro5 pin 30 and 52 run to the alt and and 42 pin runs to the light, you need both 30 and 52 working to turn the light on and off

i have the 30 wire running to the 3G wire for now and im thinking about running the 52 wire to that as well and seeing if it works

Awesome Protege6 badge. And well done on the progress. I still need to hook up my battery light too so thanks for the info guys. I have a ricer voltage gauge on my battery so I know it's charging at least. heh-heh

volt meter thats what like 20 hp right? or did you get a carbon fiber voltage meter cause thats like another 30 hp

wrong 3G wire in earlier post

but this is what i did
i hooked the pro5 wire to the kl wire was hoping if one worked that it would cancel the light but i was wrong
img004.jpg

img003.jpg

sorry if those are large

im about to cross the two wires on the pro5 harness and see if that works, and idk what the 3G on the wire refers to, cause my pinouts say it a crank sensor

crossing the wires didn't work

Last edited:
It's good for 20whp, AT LEAST. That's what the eBay seller told me... lulz. I wanted new battery terminals for all the new wiring anyway and it still works like a champ.
batt.jpg

I had the pinouts for the battery light written in my swap notes, I just gotta find them after the Trick and/or Treaters are gone later.

The battery light is controlled completely by the P5 ECM. The P5 ecu contains the brains of the original alternator while the KL alty is self contained. Since the P5 ECU doesnt see the old alty, its illuminating the battery light. Im not willing to leave the entire P5 ECU in just to control one dumb light so I will figure out something later. I did notice that if a ground is present on the wire that goes to the cluster, the light will come on, and if it is disconnected, it will stay off.
Anyone have a cluster wiring diagram? I need some wiring info on the coolant gauge and the speedo.

The stock engine harness and P5 ECU are now completely gone from the car as of this evening. Had gobs of spaghetti everywhere. lol
1031111325.jpg

Still not quite finished yet. Have to wire the A/C high/low pressure switches, wire the coolant temp gauge and the speedo. I might add that Dakota Digital tach interface is a pretty nifty unit.

Back