Fastest klze swap?

Slotege5_2003

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Who here has the fastest time at completing a full klze swap in an mp5? We are starting my swap this sunday and we are going for the record. Lol
Not to mention I will be keeping power steering and air conditioning.

So don't be shy. Tell me your times.

me and "the pile" did his BP to KL swap in his older body protege in less then two days. and we didnt even bust ass, and actually got normal sleep. his car was a running BP friday night. and was a running KL by sunday night.

kept the PS. but got rid of the a/c as it didnt work on the BP either. so we had no clue what was good and what wasnt. so didnt bother trying to figure that out while doing the swap also.

i will say we spent about a month leading up to the swap making sure we had everything we would need. so we didnt hit any unsuspected surprises. cause just one thing you might need, and dont have can stall out a project like this really quickly.

Ours should go pretty smoothly. We have my old Probe GT parked right beside it for parts. The only thing Im trying to figure out right now is wiring. I cant find an ECU pinout for the mp5 to save my life.

having a parts car handy should be godly! i kinda wish we were that lucky. but we had to rape a v6 MX3 for most of the mounts and cross member for the older protege. so we were just spending alot of time at the junkyards raping multiple cars for the things we wanted.

biggest issue we had was the radiator, and axles. but i just happened to have a kia BP axle that was the perfect fit. lol

From what I hear I can use my axles from the mp5. Probe radiator should be ok too.

I have had 5 probes and an mx6 in the past. We have those parts coming out of our ears. (spin)

My main concerns right now are wiring, and what parts to use for the PS and AC. One guy on here has AC, but he wont talk. I guess helpful forums only go so far with some people. (jerkit)

you can keep your axles however intermediate shaft bracket will have to come from a v6 of the same type and same year to be safe, and im working on a/c, im heading home this weekend and im going to try to make some magic with the a/c, and you can keep your radiator for your p5 but you will need flexy hoses that go from 1 1/4 to 1 about 30" and 24" if i remember correctly, and p/s was easy for me, just combine your lines at the factory connectors, and are you doing a klze swap or a klde swap?

mine took about 50 hours, cause 5 people missed that my dist didnt have a rotor on it... including me... .. x(

Last edited:
i wired my positive cable from my p5 to the kl harness and same thing with the negative and then grounded my fuel pump, and cliped the harness into sensors and i think that is it or maybe i grounded something else
also good choice on the curve neck cause it has square ports same as any klze if im correct
the curve neck klze builds better torque and has the same hp, and do you have an ecu and je50 vaf?
you can using your p5 tranny on a kl bellhousing if you want or you can use a kl tranny with p5 sensors on it, and a p5 clutch will work on a kl but you will need a new pressure plate, i got bored when i did my swap so i played around with a lot of things
a kl motor from an atx car works with a mtx p5 and kl wiring from a kl car work on a mtx p5 as well
are you going obd1 or 2 and what year are you using for wiring? are you making a harness or modifying one? i can get your some diagrams and hopefully ill have my a/c working by tuesday if its not too pricey

Yes the curved neck has square ports as well. The curved is just better for bottom end torque.
I have a 95 probe ecu.
We are planning on using the P5 tranny on the probe bell housing because I like the P5 gears better.
It will be OBD1. Its out of a 95.
Not sure about the harness yet. I need the pin out for the P5 ecu though.
Good luck with the AC. What parts are you going to be using? Probe or P5?

a/c is going to be kl compressor with hybrid lines into stock p5 parts

if your just going to use a probe ecu why not stick with a klde, cause the ecu will restrict the klze
and make sure you use the intermediate shaft bracket off a 95 probe

wire your engine outside of the car and redo the vacuum lines too
and ill try to get you one

I already had the ZE, plus it has the probinator ecu which takes away the restrictions, and gives it the proper VRIS points.

one of the sticky thread has a manual with wiring diagrams, but i cant find a pinout for a p5 right now, i have one for a 95 kl though

I have the one for the probe. I really appreciate your help, though. You have by far been the most help. Keep any and all ideas you have coming. Thanks a million.

also i wired a fan on cause it would never kick on when i wired it and for your temp gauge to pull a p5 sensor and connector out and throw it in the kl and run the wires back to the p5 ecu

its been awhile since i messed with the wiring, so im trying to remember everything and trying to find my p5 diagrams

The baby

314680_285380458158550_100000597952347_1029553_1638045976_n.jpg

if you can find a odb1 mx3 ecu, try that, with the je-50 vaf. that was the best combo we found for the KLZE in the protege. i really hated that i couldnt run that combo in my odb2 mtx kl 626. but i just got done doing a full maf conversion. so now im even happier im odb2. :)

and that motor looks hot man! love the valve cover.

Back