Fastest klze swap?

Heh, Im glad the MAF conversion is spreading here too.

This is Jim and ill be taking the lead on this swap. I have no concerns at all on the mechanical portion of the swap at all, especially since we have a probe donor car that will be literally 3 feet from the 5. The main goal of this isn't necessarily performance (okay, maybe it is a little :p) but we want it to be just like as if it came with the KL from the factory, which includes keeping all the amenities and creature comforts. I want to basically completely remove the FS engine harness and ECU completely and replace it with the Probe equipment, so I would like to have as much of the factory wiring diagrams as I can to make this possible. I have several volumes of the Probe EVTMs so Im covered on that end. Im not fond of the idea of having to hack the existing harnesses or have to run two ECUs. Even if this doesnt turn out to be the fastest swap, I want it to be the most complete and clean swap. Lots of pictures will be taken and I will be keeping notes for a detailed writeup on how to make this work as if it came this way from Mazda.

if you can find a odb1 mx3 ecu, try that, with the je-50 vaf. that was the best combo we found for the KLZE in the protege. i really hated that i couldnt run that combo in my odb2 mtx kl 626. but i just got done doing a full maf conversion. so now im even happier im odb2. :)

and that motor looks hot man! love the valve cover.

Thanks man. I appreciate it.

Heh, Im glad the MAF conversion is spreading here too.

This is Jim and ill be taking the lead on this swap. I have no concerns at all on the mechanical portion of the swap at all, especially since we have a probe donor car that will be literally 3 feet from the 5. The main goal of this isn't necessarily performance (okay, maybe it is a little :p) but we want it to be just like as if it came with the KL from the factory, which includes keeping all the amenities and creature comforts. I want to basically completely remove the FS engine harness and ECU completely and replace it with the Probe equipment, so I would like to have as much of the factory wiring diagrams as I can to make this possible. I have several volumes of the Probe EVTMs so Im covered on that end. Im not fond of the idea of having to hack the existing harnesses or have to run two ECUs. Even if this doesnt turn out to be the fastest swap, I want it to be the most complete and clean swap. Lots of pictures will be taken and I will be keeping notes for a detailed writeup on how to make this work as if it came this way from Mazda.

Welcome, Jim. Its about time you posted on here. Yes clean, and function trumps performance, and speed on this build. Of course, a little of all of them wouldn't hurt. (breakn)

We also decided to go with the probe tranny. Just a side note.

The baby

314680_285380458158550_100000597952347_1029553_1638045976_n.jpg

i see you already started cutting your wrist, thats good it better to now then later
i dont think you will need the je50 since you have the probe ecu it will give you different reading if its meant for the kl02? vaf and will dump loads of gas and you will have a rough idle unless the chip is made for the je50 and the maf conversion might be your best option, idk much about the probinator ecu
as for running only the probe ecu only i think you will have problems, cause the p5 ecu has about 80-100 wires where as the kl has about 60-70 wires and the idk if the probe ecu can work the p5 headlight and all that good electrical crap of volts, and ohms matching up

you might have to make a throttle cable mount for the p5 throttle cable idk if you can use probe cable, someone said you can flip the piece on the throttle body and it works but idk

Last edited:
The wiring is going to be for Jim to figure out. I get really uncomfortable with stuff like that. We will be doing most stuff on the fly so it will be quite interesting.

Havent thought much about the throttle cable either. Im glad you said something about it though. Ill be checking into that soon.

as for running only the probe ecu only i think you will have problems, cause the p5 ecu has about 80-100 wires where as the kl has about 60-70 wires and the idk if the probe ecu can work the p5 headlight and all that good electrical crap of volts, and ohms matching up

Im going to tap the probe ECU into just a few wires to begin with just to get it up and running but then I will slowly be dismantling the wiring and removing the stock ECU. The biggest reason for the extra wires on the P5 ECU is that its OBDII and thus has more extensive emissions equipment monitoring. The difference between an OBDI and OBDII KL probe is probably in the realm of 20+ more wires.
The 95+ year disty very rarely fails like the 93-94s did due to an upgraded internal ignitor. Im still running my original with 284k miles on it and it doesnt even blow spark under boost with stock plug gap in the middle of winter.

Going smoothly so far. Had a very late start today but much progress was made. Started with this at about 12:30 and a little over an hour later we had...
1016111413.jpg

Went to the local BBQ place and over ate some killer grub which wasnt the greatest idea we've ever had because we were feeling pretty much worthless when we returned. lol. Anyway, I was looking at the stock rear mount and it was utterly demolished and, well, wimpy. After some small modification to the probe mount (which already had a RR poly insert) we had some added beef. Only needed to trim the back of the mount nearest to the firewall down about 1/4 inch.
1016111613.jpg

Around 4ish we had her new heart in place.
1016111739.jpg

Power steering is pretty much figured out using the Probe pump and stock P5 pressure line. The return line will need to be custom due to the length of the required tubing. Ill get pics of that once its completed. Going to tackle AC and cooling tomorrow and possibly some wiring. The stock P5 radiator will be used because the Probe rad is about 4 or 5 inches too wide and hits the AC lines, so the hoses will have to be completely custom. The stock AC fan is going to be modded and moved over to the drivers side and a 14" slim line fan will be put on the passenger side to clear the header. You cant see it in the pics but SSAC/ ebay headers are being used, thus the minor fan clearance issue. If we had stock logs it wouldnt be a problem.

Will update with more tomorrow.

Last edited:
its tomorrow

the guy who was suppose to do my ac lines had a family emergency so its going to be awhile before i get those done

what are you doing to do for your tach? most people get a dakota digital sgi-8

Thats what I have. I ordered it a couple months ago preparing for the swap.

AC, and power steering are done. Now just wiring, and coolant lines.

Im gonna let the cat outta the bag a bit here. We're using the stock ac lines on the Probe compressor with no mods whatsoever. Didnt do a whole helluva lot today on the car other than set up the AC lines and install the power steering return line. Should be able to fire it next weekend. Stay tuned. ;)

stock p5 lines fit on a probe compressor? i modded my stock lines to mount up on my kl compressor, a 1996 626 compressor i believe or a 94 but they leaked so wednesday i should have some lines spliced together

and i want to see pics of the compressor and lines if you have the time

use stock heater lines and radiator lines should be easy to do

Last edited:
Everything lined up near perfect. All I had to do really was put a slight bend in a line (like 3-4 degrees) so it wouldn't rub the alternator.

I should mention though that the stock P5 or similarly sized radiator would need to be used to clear the AC lines on both sides of the radiator.

1017111117a.jpg

Last edited:
I hate to jinx myself but this is going WAY too easily. Pretty much all thats left to do now is the wiring and the exhaust. I had about 20 minutes before it got dark out tonight but I figured out how to do the coolant lines. We took a gamble and picked out a few different coolant hoses off the wall at PepBoys and one of them turned out to be perfect. Ill have a part number for that one later. The others are going to be a mix of stockers from the P5 and the Probe.

is the 626 bracket the same as the probe bracket? and the compressor is off a v6 probe or an i4?

goodluck with exhaust, my fiancee's dad welder up my exhuast

Last edited:
The bracket and compressor is off the Probe. V6
Exhaust shouldnt be a problem. We'll just be hacking up the stock Probe exhaust and make it work. Minor changes to the P5 exhaust could be made and it would be easier but the Probe piping is a bit bigger and should help the ZE breath better until a real exhaust can be had. Only thing is Andy can't decide is whether to use the single tip magnaflow muffler or the dual tip OBX that was part of my very first exhaust on my car.

also i wired a fan on cause it would never kick on when i wired it and for your temp gauge to pull a p5 sensor and connector out and throw it in the kl and run the wires back to the p5 ecu

its been awhile since i messed with the wiring, so im trying to remember everything and trying to find my p5 diagrams

I was thinking about the fan control and I think the easiest way to tackle it is to let the Probe ECU control it. The Probe has a high and low speed fan and I will simply use those two outputs on the ECU and let them control my own relays to trigger the cooling fan. I cut a stock Probe fan in half and used the smaller AC fan on its side to act as the main two speed fan. Its like it was made for the P5 radiator.
When the AC is turned on, an additional slim pusher fan will kick on in addition to turning the cooling fan on high.

I agree with you big time, Jim. This swap is going way to smooth. Its had for me to figure out why people have so much trouble with this, and don't hook up their AC. Then again.....we aren't done yet. lol

Back