Fastest klze swap?

I have a copy of 95 626 pinouts as well set up like that but crappier if you want those to, or I could get a different year

I have or have access to just about every pinout from anything the KL was in so Im good there.
Tomorrow we may try to crank it. o_O

There will be vids. The axles, linkage, rear mount, and hubs are done. Jim is wiring now. Shouldn't be much longer.

BTW.....What is the problem people were having with the shift linkage? Mine bolted straight up. (scratch)

Its alive. :) Drove it around a bit even. Video will be up in about 20 minutes.

Okay I lied. Vid is up now. (drive2)

Still very rough but its together enough to be safely driven. Probe ECU is controlling everything but the stock harness is still tucked under the battery for now until I have some time to trace wires and eliminate it. Will build an exhaust for it next weekend so its open headers for now.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TLmB6ZcnAwM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just for fun, this is the very first start of that same motor in the Probe 11 months ago.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RsPbI4KKw0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Lol, his is the same way. He SAYS he likes it but I think hes retarded. All it would take to correct it would be to take the bolt out of the bottom of the shifter and rotate the shifter 180 degrees. The stock bend in the shifter should make it sit right, but ANDY IS A GEEK AND DOESNT WANT TO FIX IT! (lol2)

Hey guys. I'll help out as much as possible. I even had the P5 pinouts posted in my build thread but I just now found this thread. I deleted my A/C because I never used it anyway and my car will be more of a track car. The shift linkage from the PGT or MX-6 with the KL is longer than the P5 so the shift lever will line up better.

oh- and Justin (the cat with the red KL Protege) helped me out a TON with my swap. But he also gets daily PM's from people saying "Hey, how do I put a KL in my Protege?" so he's probably just a little burnt out on giving out help. :)

you're right i had it backwards in my other post, and i like it too it feels better there

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer Lewis but its pretty much downhill from here. Everything has gone beautifully. Just a matter of setting up a little more wiring to eliminate the stock P5 engine harness and its as good as done. Im fairly certain I could do it in a weekend or less if given the opportunity again.

I thought the shifter position was just odd at first. I only decided I hated it after I mashed my hand into the parking brake handle while throwing it into 4th.

Last edited:
Back