Fastest klze swap?

If anyone needs wiring diagrams, let me know...

^^^ Your sig is huge. Is that really necessary?

lol - finally I get to ask the infernal question:

"Hey Evan......wanna race?"

Did you not see my license plate, my friend? Haha. I'll have my KL in this P5 in June. I'll meet ya half way. :)

Back on topic. Sorry I can't help with the A/C issue guys.

maybe i have missed it. is there a how to guide on this whole swap? on list on all thats needed to make it happen and modifications needed to be done?

there is a full blown guide written by someone somewhere i read it for about 20 mins and wasn't even 1/100th of the way through
it was written like a damn tech manual step by step instructions, what tools where needed, when every bolt was located and was size

there is a shorten guide it goes
get engine and tranny, 2.0L axles, wiring harness, ecu, flexi radiator hose 1" to 1 1/4" 30" and 36" long, pull everything off your p5 tranny and throw it on the kl tranny
use p5 shift linkage, and hoses as best as possible, alter things to fit, get your grounds grounded and your power wires power when needed and you should be good

ppl do a lot of things differently
and the engine differ along with harnesses and ecus
im OBD1 so i cant run the p5 off of the ecu for the kl so im running 2 ecus (which i was doing before with the haltech, and i might just got to msd ignition and haltech when i boost)
but obd2 can (i might swap to obd2 if i dont boost) and then ill run 1 ecu to make things easier

and the a/c sensor is another pressure sensor so im going to wire the a/c sensor its like pin 2H to 1O and just run those to the p5 wire and run the p5 a/c relay to the kl a/c relay pin and it should work

I was thinking about this earlier today, maybe we can get a KL specific section in the Protege sub-forum?

sweet thanks man and congrats on the win for MOTM

back to a/c

my simple explanation of the p5 a/c circuit goes if the a/c relay is ground a/c clutch gets power which cause the a/c to work
but when i hook the a/c relay wire to the kl ecu it just goes it out all the time so my clutch runs all the time, and my ecu doesnt realize that the a/c is on so my ecu dumps gas but it blows cold air and im pretty sure if i drive it and pull it out of gear it will stall out

Awesome, thanks JT!

Sorry once again for the off topic chatter. I'll shut up now. haha

sweet thanks man and congrats on the win for MOTM

back to a/c

my simple explanation of the p5 a/c circuit goes if the a/c relay is ground a/c clutch gets power which cause the a/c to work
but when i hook the a/c relay wire to the kl ecu it just goes it out all the time so my clutch runs all the time, and my ecu doesnt realize that the a/c is on so my ecu dumps gas but it blows cold air and im pretty sure if i drive it and pull it out of gear it will stall out

is it like the fuel pump relay thing, where you trick the ECU into thinking it has control of the fuel pump, when the pumps on with ignition? basically is there a wire that tells the ECU its on? This diagram kinda shows a wire that does that. Its the one at the A/C relay with a resistor (zig-zag) on it:
http://w w w .autolib. diakom. ru/CAR/Ford/1997/Probe/SYSTEM%20WIRING%20DIAGRAMS/15531.pdf
I know this is for a OBD2 probe, but the relay setup should be the same, just maybe not the colours...

And protege6 forum woot! Theres a lot of information to go around, its just really buried. One place to discuss and diagnose would be great, would also prevent random people invading build threads with "can I do this swap with X car and X motor?"

Last edited:
So wait - Jed - is yours blowin cold air as of now!? I've been out of the "workin on my car" loop for a minute since I hurt my back - but I need to get this A/C sorted out pretty damn fast. Hell...I had to borrow my in-laws' van to take the kiddos back home because it was too damn hot for my daughter.

it takes it awhile to build of the high pressure side but once its full of refrigerant it blows cold

Teeson i have my fuel pump relay hooked to my kl, if wired properly it works correctly
if you ground out everything in the a/c system your ecu wont adjust for the difference in load so it will run rich as balls, and it will probably stall out all the time
my problem is that my a/c relay on the kl ecu stays grounded i just thought maybe if i apply voltage to the blower relay it may close the a/c relay ground

im also obd1
kl a/c circuit consist of
2P coolant fan relay #1
3L coolant fan relay #2 and 3 (these are wired together and wired to P5 pin 47)
3N condenser fan high relay (wired to pin 45)
1L a/c relay (this stays grounded and once the p5 a/c relay is grounded the a/c compressor get powers on the kl compressor it runs to a pressure switch i believe and if the switch is good then the clutch gets power)
1P blower switch (p5 doesn't have a a wire and it just needs to be grounded but idk what it will do i thought it should ground the a/c relay)
1O a/c sensor
2H a/c pressure switch (these are both pressure switch so ill wire them together then wire it to p5 pin 41)

i have everything wired up to the ecu except the blower switch because the p5 doesn't have one, but when i ground it nothing happens and when i give it power nothing happens
and my a/c clutch stays on the whole time

so im not too sure

ive noticed when i switch the fan speed between 2 and 3 that the clutch kicks off for a second ill be playing with that relay to see want i can do

maybe wire in an additional relay from the "AC on" on the KL ECU? If you noticed a definite break in the clutch engagement when making a mode change - it may fix it.

this is my plan

Attachments

• ac relay.jpg
    ac relay.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 113
On a related note, how did you guys delete the A/C in the first place? just ground the A/c relay from the ECU? or does one have to do the pressure switch as well..

The pressure switch may be an issue for the ECU if it doesn't detect any pressure even when it thinks the A/C's on in your case, no?

Latest posts

Back