Picked up a 2011 CX-9 Grand Touring a week ago

It was a busy last two weeks. First traded in my 2006 Beetle TDI for a new 2012 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, then I liked the Mazda so much that I convinced my wife to trade in the 2007 Honda Odyssey Touring with a 2011 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring with Navigation and Sunroof.

Mazda 5 is Clear Water Blue Mica on the exterior, and black leather interior.

CX-9 is black exterior with black leather interior. Hopefully during daylight, I will take some picture of both cars with scenic backdrop!

It was a busy last two weeks. First traded in my 2006 Beetle TDI for a new 2012 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, then I liked the Mazda so much that I convinced my wife to trade in the 2007 Honda Odyssey Touring with a 2011 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring with Navigation and Sunroof.

CX-9 is black exterior with black leather interior. Hopefully during daylight, I will take some picture of both cars with scenic backdrop!
Enjoy! We have ours for about 2 weeks, 700 miles and love it.

Congrats on the 2 new Mazdas and welcome!

Your CX9 sounds exactly the same as ours, minus the Nav :).

I'm in the process of looking at cars - with 3 kids, we need the third row, but I was pushing for an Odyssey, the wife wanted a Pilot instead, and after looking at the Pilot and doing some research, we went out and test drove a CX-9 and liked it more.

My gut still says we should get the Odyssey, but the wife staunchly refuses a minivan. Could you compare the Odyssey to the CX-9, having owned both? I know we're missing the side door, which is going to make our lives a lot harder, but I wonder if the utility beyond that is close enough that the 'fun' factor will make up for it.

The back doors on the CX-9 are freaking huge. With the door fully open and the center seat slid forward, I think there is adequate room to get in the back. My neighbor across the street has an 02' Oddy' and my sister had a newer (like 07ish) Oddy' which she got rid of and got an 11' Sienna and says how horrible her Oddy' was. She has 4 kids, and the Sienna has the cool fold down seat between the 2 center seats so it can seat 8. If you have 3 kids though... that means pretty limited room to haul your stuff, although you could fold down one of the 3rd row seats in the CX-9 and have not too shabby space in the trunk.

Enjoy! We have ours for about 2 weeks, 700 miles and love it.

Same here. Had it about 2 weeks and 800 miles a 2008 GT with sunroof and absolutely love it. Especially with a baby on the way. October 28th due date.

Get ready for more lost sleep! Congrats on the little one. My wife says I have no idea what pain is compared to childbirth. I then tell her she has no idea what pain is compared to putting up with her. I then sleep on the couch.

I'm in the process of looking at cars - with 3 kids, we need the third row, but I was pushing for an Odyssey, the wife wanted a Pilot instead, and after looking at the Pilot and doing some research, we went out and test drove a CX-9 and liked it more.

My gut still says we should get the Odyssey, but the wife staunchly refuses a minivan. Could you compare the Odyssey to the CX-9, having owned both? I know we're missing the side door, which is going to make our lives a lot harder, but I wonder if the utility beyond that is close enough that the 'fun' factor will make up for it.

Dude - seriously, if your wife is dead set against a minivan, put that out of your mind and move on!! She isn't going to grow to like it. Mine is much the same way btw. She also flatly refused to consider a Pilot or MDX just because it seems almost everybody we know has one. So that didn't leave too many choices. She actually wanted a Tahoe, but we don't need that much space or truck-like capability these days, so I opted for the CX9 and let her pick the color and then found out she wanted a sunroof so I ended up buying one with the sunroof / bose / liftage package. Touring model, AWD (need that for ski trips in the winter). So far we like it quite a bit. Had it 4 months and logged just over 4K miles. It's getting around 17mpg but the mix of city driving is probably 70 percent or so. Not bad for what it is. I have had 6 teenagers in the back plus myself, and no complaints about space. Seems adequate for short to moderate trips, which is all we need the 3rd row for since we only have 2 kids.

Back