New 2011 CX-9 Touring Owner

blackntan

:
2011 Mazda CX-9 Touring - Black n Tan
Hello fellow Mazda owners! Throughout my research prior to buying the new CX-9 for my wife, google kept putting me right on top of this mazdas247.com forum, so I figured why not join after we bought it?

We just bought a black 2011 CX-9 Touring, sand leather interior, bose+sunroof/liftgate package. We were in the market for a midsize SUV, and narrowed it down to Traverse, Highlander, and CX-9 due to pricing, options, and reviews (CX-9 was edmunds top pick- although I still haven't figured out what "fun to drive" means. My Road King is fun to drive though!). Being a yota man, I wanted her to get the Highlander. We ruled out the Traverse, because...well, it's a GMC, and it didn't seem too exciting, and seemed like you had to cough up a lot of dough to start getting leather and a few other cool things. She drove the Highlander SE first, and loved it, except she couldn't get over the headlights. Then she drove the CX-9, and the search was over...and haggling began. I worked with 4 different dealers through emails and phone calls, over 3-4 days, and the one who gave me the lowest price over the phone got a visit from us on Sept 30. We traded in her 2010 VW Jetta (lease). We had our own financing walking into the thing, and got the CX-9 for 32k OTD, with tax, title, tags, fees, and negative trade equity. I even had the sales manager throw in the rubber all-weather mats, cargo mat, and cargo net (he wouldn't go for the remote start =( ) I think we ended up getting it a tad under invoice, out the door. I think we did pretty good overall, and she loves her new CX-9! So whatever the dealer made, is fine with me, he deserves it. He was about $500 lower than the other dealers, before I even gave my first and final in-person offer. I put the first 30 miles on it, leaving the dealership, and I am very impressed with everything about it. This is definitely a luxury vehicle to us, never had anything this nice before. I had never considered a Mazda before, but for what we got, and what it cost us, I think this is definitely a 10+ year car for our family.

My first mods/research on this site will probably be 1) replace the joke of a donut spare with full size, or closer to full size spare 2) installing OEM foglights-is wiring already in place? 3) matching window tint 4) researching AM remote start/alarm, and how it may interact/interfere with the factory keyless entry/start thing....

Wife wants black wheels like I have on my truck (my Tundra is murdered), but I'm not too sure about how that would look on such a classy looking vehicle? I'm trying to talk her into keeping the thing stock, for the most part, because I think it looks pretty nice the way it is.

I plan on starting the Mobil 1 5w20 oil changes after the 4 month mark, then every 6-12 months after that (she only puts 6-8k a year on her car). So far I've read that the oil change is a PITA, something about the filter? I crawled up under the car and it looked pretty easy to me, but I'll cross that line when I get there.

I look forward to interacting with all of you. Sorry I don't have much knowledge on this mazda yet, but once I start learning new things, I'll share :)

Hello fellow Mazda owners! Throughout my research prior to buying the new CX-9 for my wife, google kept putting me right on top of this mazdas247.com forum, so I figured why not join after we bought it?

We just bought a black 2011 CX-9 Touring, sand leather interior, bose+sunroof/liftgate package. We were in the market for a midsize SUV, and narrowed it down to Traverse, Highlander, and CX-9 due to pricing, options, and reviews (CX-9 was edmunds top pick- although I still haven't figured out what "fun to drive" means. My Road King is fun to drive though!). Being a yota man, I wanted her to get the Highlander. We ruled out the Traverse, because...well, it's a GMC, and it didn't seem too exciting, and seemed like you had to cough up a lot of dough to start getting leather and a few other cool things. She drove the Highlander SE first, and loved it, except she couldn't get over the headlights. Then she drove the CX-9, and the search was over...and haggling began. I worked with 4 different dealers through emails and phone calls, over 3-4 days, and the one who gave me the lowest price over the phone got a visit from us on Sept 30. We traded in her 2010 VW Jetta (lease). We had our own financing walking into the thing, and got the CX-9 for 32k OTD, with tax, title, tags, fees, and negative trade equity. I even had the sales manager throw in the rubber all-weather mats, cargo mat, and cargo net (he wouldn't go for the remote start =( ) I think we ended up getting it a tad under invoice, out the door. I think we did pretty good overall, and she loves her new CX-9! So whatever the dealer made, is fine with me, he deserves it. He was about $500 lower than the other dealers, before I even gave my first and final in-person offer. I put the first 30 miles on it, leaving the dealership, and I am very impressed with everything about it. This is definitely a luxury vehicle to us, never had anything this nice before. I had never considered a Mazda before, but for what we got, and what it cost us, I think this is definitely a 10+ year car for our family.

My first mods/research on this site will probably be 1) replace the joke of a donut spare with full size, or closer to full size spare 2) installing OEM foglights-is wiring already in place? 3) matching window tint 4) researching AM remote start/alarm, and how it may interact/interfere with the factory keyless entry/start thing....

Wife wants black wheels like I have on my truck (my Tundra is murdered), but I'm not too sure about how that would look on such a classy looking vehicle? I'm trying to talk her into keeping the thing stock, for the most part, because I think it looks pretty nice the way it is.

I plan on starting the Mobil 1 5w20 oil changes after the 4 month mark, then every 6-12 months after that (she only puts 6-8k a year on her car). So far I've read that the oil change is a PITA, something about the filter? I crawled up under the car and it looked pretty easy to me, but I'll cross that line when I get there.

I look forward to interacting with all of you. Sorry I don't have much knowledge on this mazda yet, but once I start learning new things, I'll share :)

#1 - Congrats and Welcome!

#2 - Sounds like you got a nice deal :)

#3 - I played around with wheel colors on our Black CX-9 on Tire Rack, and came to the conclusion that Black wheels on it just wouldn't work out (unless there was Chrome or Machined Silver worked into the wheels somehow) because of the Chrome trim around the windows and grill. I am thinking of Blacking some stuff out on ours, but not really sure yet. Ours is also the wifes daily driver, so I don't want to go too crazy with mods.

I also plan to switch to Mobil 1 at 4K miles, and then figure out Tint. I want to stay legal on the CX9, so I'll probably go with 50% since that's the legal limit here in MN. I have 35% on my G8, and already have 1 ticket for it....which is upsetting. I had 30% on my Mazdaspeed 6 and Mazdaspeed Protege and never got a ticket in 5+ years of driving them.

blackntan, welcome and congrats on your purchase. I too are a new CX-9 owner. We also got the black/sand combo. I opted for the grand touring model w/nav and power lift gate. We traded a 2009 Murano and walked out paying $1 more a month, yes $1. I'm sure the 0% for 60mo helped. Overall we are more impressed with the Mazda over the Nissan. The Mazda is quieter on the road and roomier. I sure don't miss the CVT trans in the Murano.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Rawyzf- I think I'm going to make her keep the car stock for now. I keep looking at it, and I just don't think black wheels would do it any justice.
Marc - Congrats! My wife had been wanting a Murano for a long time, but I think they are a little pricier, and don't come with 3rd row seats, so it didn't make our list. I'm glad to hear that, in your experience, the CX-9 is better than the Murano!

I also just bought a 2012 CX-9 Grand Touring. I love it. We got for $640 under invoice, plus 1.9%. We did have to have the power lift gate lock; sensor issues, replaced already though. Hopefully it was just a fluke. Bought this car over Ford Explorer better work out.

Congrats! Yeah the fogs are pre-wired. You just have to buy the lights, and the switch/plug/wiring deal from mazda. They charge like 800 bucks for the package, rediculous. Go to www.car-part.com (not carpart.com) perform a nationwide search and see if there are any wrecked 2010 or 2011 CX-9's that might have fogs available, that would cost you alot less than from the dealer.

I have looked at those Highlanders and 1) I can't bring myself to ever buy a car that emits foul smelling eggs out the exhaust (every toyota), 2) seats are horrible, and 3) 3rd row is completely useless for anyone.

I have had no issues with my oil filter.... sometimes the manufacturer really yanks it tight but after your first oil change obviously you will hand tighten it.
Sometimes the oil does spew out in 2 directions so that is kind of a PITA sometimes.

FYI: regarding a full size spare.... if you take your existing spare off and crawl under there and look at how they designed that hoist, I seriously doubt that puny thing is rated to hold a full size spare without breaking off from the floor.

Back