I'm about to DIY a Panoramic Roof.

GL and looking forward to see how this little project comes out. Kudos for trying something different and since the roof is already hacked, why not!?

So I've been researching and I was going to rivet the plexiglass to the frame, but i've heard stories of the plexiglass cracking under that type of stress. being that i plan on doing at least 12 points of contact THat's 12 risks of cracking my glass and being down $40. (The more expensive this is the more i might as well get it done professionally)

I also looked into machine screws but that dives into possibly damaging my roof and breaking the seal that is on it now.

I've also looked into epoxies but i just don't feel comfortable holding this thing on my roof with JUST GLUE. (It would also possibly cause an accident if it flies off) The inside of my roof looks PERFECT. So if i attatch this thing correctly to my frame it will look professionally done from the inside and all i would have to worry about is covering up the slop on the outside.

So i've decided that i'm going to do a combination of epoxy and ghetto sheetmetal self tappers. The tappers would give some sort of structural integrity to the and the epoxy would help in making sure the self tappers don't vibrate themselves out. I'm also going to do a large piece of rubbber if i look around enough i can probably find some sort of aquarium moulding for 1/4" thick plexi that i can attatch to the back.

Once this is all done I'm going to seal the living hell out of it with a few bottles of caulk.

As for the moulding i'm leaning towards DIY plastic moulding or just finding thick pieces of rubber THEN putting plastic over it.

Its raining out so I can't shop around at the moment and Since i don't have power tools i have to wait for a friend to get back from his trip tmw to start.

Action on project starts tmw.

Last edited:
Friend isn't getting back for another few days and I don't wait to wait that long to put a roof on my car so I went on craigslist and bought a dewault drill and milwaukee angle grinder for $50 at 10:30PM. I'll probably use them sometime in the future so this doesn't count in the cost of the roof!

First thing in the morning it's shoppin time and I should have it finished by nightfall or tmw morning if i need to wait for epoxy to cure.

ok, maybe Im going to be the voice of caution here.

but here is 1 major flaw: it WILL sag, and it will do so quite quickly.
Lexan will sag very quick as it is not nearly as rigid as plexi.
(even if you x-brace it reasonably)

now, if this was me, I would ONLY be using the plexi (and not lexan due to cost difference) as a template to get everything cut and set. then, once I got it, and had any clamping or sealant issues dealt with, I would go and get some prices for a custom made piece of 1/4 Safety glass. they can warp/bend it, cut it with rounded corners and smoother edges, even cut holes into it if you need.
the other alternative would be 1/8 tempered glass (not recommended due to the dangers of it breaking from heat/shrapnel, and you do not want that stuff falling into your eyes if you can avoid it)
cost would be between $120-$300 depending on the company and glass used. safety and upkeep costs: priceless :)
you can even get either one of those pre-tinted fairly dark.

not an expert opinion by any means, but will this be sturdy at highway speeds? id imagine opening the windows will put major pressure in the cabin from the air flow. as far as the drilling into the plexi, i would think as long as you predrill the holes you should be alright. and if it all fails you can go with a carbon fiber cap which would look badass. good luck either way.

why not find a panoramic roof that is glass from another car and cut your roof to those dimensions and make it fit?

drilling plexi is tricky, most of the time it cracks the edges (I dont mean cracks you can physically see either) small, microscopic cracks will mean the plexi will crack much easier in those same spots down the road.
here is where Lexan has the advantage, except as mentioned before, due to its very chemical makeup, that makes it ideal for these things, also makes it something that would need replaced on a regular basis. after replacing the lexan panel 2-3 times you would be matching a single piece of custom shaped glass, that will last a long, long time AND be covered under insurance (lexan/plexi wont be).

the chances of finding something that will remotely match are slim, very slim. unless the OP wishes to do some fabrication work (which Im pretty sure he already said he isnt comfortable doing)
all in all, the honest easiest route for this will be a piece of glass, safety preferred. (safety glass, for those wondering, is 2 thin pieces of glass with a ultra clear laminate between them, the same technique your windshield is made of)

ok, maybe Im going to be the voice of caution here.

but here is 1 major flaw: it WILL sag, and it will do so quite quickly.
Lexan will sag very quick as it is not nearly as rigid as plexi.
(even if you x-brace it reasonably)

now, if this was me, I would ONLY be using the plexi (and not lexan due to cost difference) as a template to get everything cut and set. then, once I got it, and had any clamping or sealant issues dealt with, I would go and get some prices for a custom made piece of 1/4 Safety glass. they can warp/bend it, cut it with rounded corners and smoother edges, even cut holes into it if you need.
the other alternative would be 1/8 tempered glass (not recommended due to the dangers of it breaking from heat/shrapnel, and you do not want that stuff falling into your eyes if you can avoid it)
cost would be between $120-$300 depending on the company and glass used. safety and upkeep costs: priceless :)
you can even get either one of those pre-tinted fairly dark.

I appreciate your advice, but the whole point of this is not to put a professional roof in.

It's to keep the hole the exact same size so I can put a convertable top in if i wanted too.

It's something fun I decided to do and as soon as it fails i'm going to put the HOllandia 400 in there.

why not find a panoramic roof that is glass from another car and cut your roof to those dimensions and make it fit?

Because I don't want to make my hole any bigger or weld anything to it, otherwise the Folding roof is not an option. it's a HUGE hole. I doubt i'll find anything that fits.

trust me, that wouldnt be anything near a professional roof :)
but its your project, so as long as I offered my advice, Im happy :)

good luck with it, Im going to be keeping an eye for updates on it, it does look promising.

Items purchased!!
After looking through the hardware store I couldn't find any type of epoxy that I feel safe using On plexi as they all said "Be careful using on poly this and poly that"

So I instead went for the 100% silicone caulk (That's what she said) When it cures it has adhesive properties and i'm giong to be mounting it in with screws anyways so thats' the route i went for now.

Items purchased
1. Weatherstripping
2. Silicone Caulk
3. Caulk Gun
4. #10 self tapping screws.
5. Washers
6. Grinding wheel
7. Drill bit

Total cost of materials

$47.00

Total cost of project so far

$93.00

I've been looking into "Moulding" and found some garage door bottom strips near the weatherstripping I found. It's very thick and I think it would be a perfect look on top, as well as somethign that sheds a little extra water off of the roof.

I'm putting it on today! I'll figure out the moulding tmw.

AHHHH your the one who bought it! I almost bought this P5 when I saw the ad on craigslist! The sale on my car fell though and the next day the ad was deleted. Bummer. This is exactly what i was planning on doing if i bought it. maybe you could try a center support like a mercedes.
sunroof_open.jpg
It would help prevent the plexiglass from bowing in the middle and by adding that extra support you would most likely limit wind vibrating the plexiglass. It wouldnt be that hard to get some metal or even wood and wrap it in some foam and headliner. you could even ad some reading lights or speakers! (headbang)

Isn't plexi stronger than glass? Also glass can easily break and shatter plexi glass just kid snaps in half

AHHHH your the one who bought it! I almost bought this P5 when I saw the ad on craigslist! The sale on my car fell though and the next day the ad was deleted. Bummer. This is exactly what i was planning on doing if i bought it. maybe you could try a center support like a mercedes.
sunroof_open.jpg
It would help prevent the plexiglass from bowing in the middle and by adding that extra support you would most likely limit wind vibrating the plexiglass. It wouldnt be that hard to get some metal or even wood and wrap it in some foam and headliner. you could even ad some reading lights or speakers! (headbang)

Whoah he wasn't kidding. I thought he was just hyping up the sale when he said someone else was going to sell his car to buy that car that day.

I Guess he wasn't lying.

If it makes you feel any better, i have a giant hole in my roof that I have to worry about now. It really was sealed well but curiosity got the best of me :/.

Back