Adding Cruise Control to 5MT?

CanuckMazda5

:
2007 Mazda5 5MT
Hey there,

Just bought a 07 5MT with everythign other than leather and cruise and wanted to add cruise.

I keep on reading about a how to for it but Zoom5Zoom never includes the link to the thread where he walks through it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Get an aftermarket Rostra brand cruise control? I installed an Audiovox cruise onto my wife's old Civic for about $100, but the Rostras seem to be a bit more reliable and not too much more expensive- about $200 to start. Just to give you an idea, our old xB's optional cruise control was a Rostra brand cruise installed at the dealer. It wasn't available from the factory with cruise, but the Rostra was the official cruise option.

If you look at the wiring diagrams normally associated with cruise control, you'd be able to see why you don't want to add cruise to a car using the stock hardware. The aftermarket kits are pretty easy to get and install on your own- only a few wires and a vacuum source or two are typically what you get in an aftermarket cruise control

Oh I understand the aftermarket options. I just wanted to use the method people were talking about here where it was just a steering wheel pod replacement and a brake switch.

Being that this vehicle has electronic throttle, I don't know of any aftermarket options. The cruise control is built into the PCM. If what you have read involves replacing the steering wheel, it may simply be a matter of swapping your steering wheel (and clock spring) out for one with the controls to enable it. I haven't seen anything around here addressing this venture. I'd imaging that cruise was available for the m/t, but determining the parts necessary may be difficult. Good luck.

From what I have read here, it is already setup and ready to go. All that is needed is to pull the right steering wheel blank covering that portion and insert the cruise module that has the controls. Then replace the brake switch with the variety that comes with 5's with cruise and you are set.

I need more infomation on part numbers for this switch and the control pod for the steering wheel to pull the trigger on this project. My wife wants cruise. And what she wants, I will hopefully get. ;)

From what I have seen on this forum, it is indeed just a blank covering a connection panel which the cruise control will essentially plug into. I would love to know that part number for the control pod.

Not something you could purchase apart from the dealer or junkyard. A part number is just a phone call away.

People in this forum are saying that a lot of parts guys at the dealer have no idea on how to source the part. I was just getting the part numbers ahead of time so I don't have to convince them it exists.

Being that this vehicle has electronic throttle, I don't know of any aftermarket options. The cruise control is built into the PCM. If what you have read involves replacing the steering wheel, it may simply be a matter of swapping your steering wheel (and clock spring) out for one with the controls to enable it. I haven't seen anything around here addressing this venture. I'd imaging that cruise was available for the m/t, but determining the parts necessary may be difficult. Good luck.

Duh, sorry. Brain fart. I completely forgot about electronic throttle. All my electronic TB cars have cruise already... just never thought about adding it to one of them. :(

People in this forum are saying that a lot of parts guys at the dealer have no idea on how to source the part. I was just getting the part numbers ahead of time so I don't have to convince them it exists.

So you don't have to convince them that the cruise control buttons exist on the steering wheel?

Why can't you call up the dealer and tell them you need the steering wheel mounted cruise control pad/module/input controller? About the only thing they may ask for that would determine whether the part number comes up for your car is the VIN. They'll sell you whatever part you ask for though. Or better yet, head into there and speak to them in person and they'll probably show you a diagram of the steering wheel and you can point to the item you need.

Hey dude, no offense, but I didn't ask for someone to tell me to go to the dealer and do it myself. ;)

My VIN won't have the cruise option seeing, it didn't have cruise installed from the factory. I need the part number for that control pod so I can tell them.

I just needed to know the part number from someone who has attempted to do this addition.

How long has it been since you started this thread...over 2 months?. There has been no one to chime in and say "Hey, I've done that! Here's what you need..."

By now, you could have been to the dealer in person, purchased the part and been done with this altogether. Whether you have a part number or not, you still have to make a trip to the dealer to order it (or at least see their diagram to make sure it's right before they do). It personally sounds to me like you've never been to a dealer parts counter. I've told you the simplicity of finding what you need, but it looks like you would rather someone else do all the leg work.

Good luck...again.

If I could just go to the dealer and get the part, why would I ask here. In fact, in your mind, we should all just go to the dealer instead of asking fellows members for help because people like you will just call them lazy. That is not the point of these forums.

They can't just pull the part number out of their butt for you. It is not based on my VIN number.

So if you don't want to assist in me fixing this issue, then please feel free to not respond. All you are doing now is throwing a tantrum because I didn't accept your great help of "go and do it yourself."

kthx

Back