How do I remove the silver trim from the doors?

up4speed

I am having a problem with the silver trim on my 2008 GT, I am unfortunately out of warranty so the dealer will not replace them for free under the TSB. They agreed to install them for free if I buy them, but I would rather just do it myself. Can someone please tell me how to remove these pieces off of the front and rear doors? I don't have a shop manual, and I don't want to screw anything up. From what I'm hearing, they should be extremely simple once you know how to do it. Thanks!

Also, does anyone have the proper part #'s for these trim pieces?

Last edited:
I do not have part numbers, but removing the trim is easy. I usually start in the center of the trim and push my thumbs in between the trim and the door. Start to pull back and the clips will release. Be carefull not to break the tab on the far front of each piece of trim, but more than likely all will go smooth.

Sorry, I'm Not totally following you. When I force my thumbs in betwen the pieces, is it on bottom of the trim, top, or top and bottom? You then said to pull back the trim, is it back away from the door, or back towards the rear of the car? Sorry for sounding like afool, but I don't want to snap anything and crate a new rattle. Or even worse ruin the mount on the door panel, requiring a whole new door panel. I'm pretty sure that when I get the new piece to look at, I'll be able to figure out how it comes off, but the more info I can get up front, the less risk the job will be. Thanks for the info!

I am having a problem with the silver trim on my 2008 GT, I am unfortunately out of warranty so the dealer will not replace them for free under the TSB. They agreed to install them for free if I buy them, but I would rather just do it myself. Can someone please tell me how to remove these pieces off of the front and rear doors? I don't have a shop manual, and I don't want to screw anything up. From what I'm hearing, they should be extremely simple once you know how to do it. Thanks!

Also, does anyone have the proper part #'s for these trim pieces?

They just pop out? Stick a hard piece of plastic under an edge and pop up the piece. (metal will scratch.. but then it doesn't matter right). I had mine out after they replaced them and i put clear laminate over them.

Sorry, I'm Not totally following you. When I force my thumbs in betwen the pieces, is it on bottom of the trim, top, or top and bottom? You then said to pull back the trim, is it back away from the door, or back towards the rear of the car? Sorry for sounding like afool, but I don't want to snap anything and crate a new rattle. Or even worse ruin the mount on the door panel, requiring a whole new door panel. I'm pretty sure that when I get the new piece to look at, I'll be able to figure out how it comes off, but the more info I can get up front, the less risk the job will be. Thanks for the info!

I don't use any tool to pull of the trim. My fingers work great for that. Just get you thumbs in between and top of the trim, toward the center of the trim, and pull back. It comes off easy. The only breakable part is the tab toward the front of the trim, but if you start from the center and pull outward it will not be a problem.

part #

I m surprised as to how many people are having similar issues when i search online today.
I thought it was my carelessness but it turns out to be the cheapy part and paint.

anyways, i went to the dealer to get my FREE car wash today and asked to see how much, as it turns out that I am just out of warranty.

The silver one is about $45, but if you get the black one (found in Sport model), it's only $29.

Part # TD14-68-46YF

Now, i didn't see any black (rubber type material) panel when i went to the dealer in 08, yet i saw one today in the used lot on a 08 Sport Model.

I heard the back side requires the whole door panel to come off.. Is that true? Thinking of buying the driver side, center console, and passenger , and the rear as well if it's easy to replace.

I m surprised as to how many people are having similar issues when i search online today.
I thought it was my carelessness but it turns out to be the cheapy part and paint.

anyways, i went to the dealer to get my FREE car wash today and asked to see how much, as it turns out that I am just out of warranty.

The silver one is about $45, but if you get the black one (found in Sport model), it's only $29.

Part # TD14-68-46YF

Now, i didn't see any black (rubber type material) panel when i went to the dealer in 08, yet i saw one today in the used lot on a 08 Sport Model.

I heard the back side requires the whole door panel to come off.. Is that true? Thinking of buying the driver side, center console, and passenger , and the rear as well if it's easy to replace.

There was a TSB out for Mazda to replace the silver trim pieces due to defective paint application. Those of us under warranty got them replaced for free. Any model sitting on the lot should get that TSB applied for free. If not, then don't buy it unless they replace them as it's covered by Mazda and no charge to the dealer. Swapping them takes 2 minutes.

The back pop off just like the front. Center console didn't suffer the same defective paint problem, but i would suggest a clear coat laminate.

Any idea of where I can get some nice clear coat laminate to cover them with? I definitely want to protect the new pieces.

I bought some 3M clear protective film that you can use on headeadlights or other items. Works quiet well.

Mazda is awesome! I spoke to a very nice woman at the corporate office. She said because there was a TSB, and my car only had 10,000 miles, she was able to do a one time only goodwill repair on the car, even though it was out of warranty. She sent me a gift card to purchase the parts, and/or have the repair done ($300). I'm pretty happy about that. I think I just want to take care of it my self. I think I'll order all4 door pieces and install myself. Do the rear door trim pieces come off the same as the fronts? Or is there a different technique? Thanks again.

Mazda is awesome! I spoke to a very nice woman at the corporate office. She said because there was a TSB, and my car only had 10,000 miles, she was able to do a one time only goodwill repair on the car, even though it was out of warranty. She sent me a gift card to purchase the parts, and/or have the repair done ($300). I'm pretty happy about that. I think I just want to take care of it my self. I think I'll order all4 door pieces and install myself. Do the rear door trim pieces come off the same as the fronts? Or is there a different technique? Thanks again.

Were you successful in prying and removing the trim pieces by yourself? Did you just use your hands or a trim prying tool? I tried prying the front driver's side with just my fingers and it feels pretty stuck in there and I'm afraid that it might break if I apply additional pressure.

Anybody care to upload pics showing the proper prying points? I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:
I am not sure if they changed the design in 2008 because they knew the dealers would all have to remove these pieces, but just so everyone knows I tried to remove the rear trim today on my 2007 without success. As I was pulling on it, I could see it was stressing on the inside... perhaps a screw or something? I decided not to keep pulling on it. I know the service manual does show a screw around there, but it didn't look like it was truly screwed into that strip of trim. Perhaps it is.

I'm wrapping the front and console strips with brushed 3m aluminum. I may just leave the rear since they are not badly scratched/worn...

There was a TSB out for Mazda to replace the silver trim pieces due to defective paint application. Those of us under warranty got them replaced for free. Any model sitting on the lot should get that TSB applied for free. If not, then don't buy it unless they replace them as it's covered by Mazda and no charge to the dealer. Swapping them takes 2 minutes.

The back pop off just like the front. Center console didn't suffer the same defective paint problem, but i would suggest a clear coat laminate.

AGH! Wish I would of seen this sooner. I just got a 2008 CX-9 with this issue, i told my wife mehh. i can replace it but i would of had them do it on the spot. A-holes. I hate dealers.

I am not sure if they changed the design in 2008 because they knew the dealers would all have to remove these pieces, but just so everyone knows I tried to remove the rear trim today on my 2007 without success. As I was pulling on it, I could see it was stressing on the inside... perhaps a screw or something? I decided not to keep pulling on it. I know the service manual does show a screw around there, but it didn't look like it was truly screwed into that strip of trim. Perhaps it is.

I'm wrapping the front and console strips with brushed 3m aluminum. I may just leave the rear since they are not badly scratched/worn...

So you were able to remove the front and center console strips fine without any screws? And it's just the rear that you could not pry off?

I'm planning to do a 3M wrap too and would prefer to wrap the trims unattached to the vehicle, but if there's a high risk of breaking a tab, I'll just wrap them in place.

That is correct. The front doors were super easy - just pull them off. The console is more involved: You need to remove the square cubby piece under the armrest (where everything goes into) as the silver pieces on the sides of the console are held in place by this. Then remove the two screws up front per piece. (Under the black/"wood" trim) Then they will just slide forward to remove. Do not pull them outward like you did the doors or you'll break some tabs. (Like I did)

That is correct. The front doors were super easy - just pull them off. The console is more involved: You need to remove the square cubby piece under the armrest (where everything goes into) as the silver pieces on the sides of the console are held in place by this. Then remove the two screws up front per piece. (Under the black/"wood" trim) Then they will just slide forward to remove. Do not pull them outward like you did the doors or you'll break some tabs. (Like I did)

Thanks! Where's the best place to pry the front door trims? I tried pulling them with just my hands, but I couldn't not get a good grip and my nails started to hurt.

Also, how did you expose the screws under the wood/black trim in the front part of the center console trim?

Latest posts

Back