Hard To Start

mazda_maan

:
03 mazda 6i
Hi,

I'm new so I thought I'd introduce myself with a problem. (bang)

Ever since I bought my 03 6i it has had trouble starting. I either have to crank 3 times (crank for a second, stop, crank for a second, stop, etc) or I crank it for about 5 seconds and then it will start. It will start right away if I shut the car off and start back up but if I leave it for about 10 minutes or more it takes 3 tries.

I tried replacing the battery, fuel pump, and Cam Position Sensor. I had the codes checked and got P2088 and P0012. I also checked the voltage on the Oil Control Valve connector and it read 12v on one wire and 5.2v on the other. Does this mean the Valve/Sensor is bad? Sorry if this has been discussed before (I did search).

Thank you for any advice.

i had a similar problem in my old protege. check the idle air controller, should be a black box bolted to the throttle body, right by your intake system. typically on mazdas it held in with torx screws. take it out and spray it with some carbon cleaner.

You know, while I was under the hood yesterday checking the voltage of the CPS with the key turned forward I heard that black thing on the throttle body making a buzzing sound but I totally dismissed it. I'm going to check that out! Thank you!!!!

OK, I removed the throttle body and popped off that black cover. It was a motor, I'm assuming it's the motor that controls the throttle plate, whatever that's called. Well, I cleaned everything out really well and put it back together. Still not starting easily and that motor is still making a high pitched buzzing sound. Think I need a whole new throttle body?

there should be a plunger/piston thing from the IAC box into the throttle body. thats what needs cleaned. did you get that?

you cleaned the entire throttle body right?

AH! I did see that thing! It was not connected to the throttle body though so I didn't clean it...yet. I did clean the throttle body though. It was dirty but not caked on or anything. The plunger/piston thing was behind the throttle body, an inch or two further down the intake track. I'll try cleaning that tomorrow. Thanks again for the response!

P.S. I read that the throttle body buzzing is a normal thing.

Back