Do I need new Tires? any recommendation

svusa

:
CX 9 2010
Folks..

This is my first post after researching a bit in the form. I hope that some of you can share your personal experience with cx9. Last year I bought 2010 CX9 T model which has currently 15k miles. This summer, while I was driving out of state, lot of Tar got stuck on front drive side and rare driver side wheels.

I had to keep driving for about 250 miles as I was away from home. It was really bumpy ride for week or so as if one tire is flat. My mechanic after spending couple of hours was able to get off most of the tar from the wheels. He confessed that most times Tar should wear off after some drive but in this case it was just too much tar all over the wheel. That was happy ending there, as ride was back to normal.

Though, after month or so what I realize CX-9 ride is very bumpy even on low speed on very nicely paved roads. At times, it almost feels like I�m driving off roads. I�m able to feel almost every bump on the road and vibrations are felt across all seats. If roads are in bad shape, it is even worst.

I�m not sure if this is something normal with cx-9 as people have complained about stiff ride or it has to do with the fact that even tires look pretty much cleaned after removing tar, it is no longer in optimal condition which makes over all journey unpleasant?

If you have to recommend, one good all weather tire for cx9 T, which one that would be? I leave in NJ so not looking for winter tires. I�m just looking for comfortable ride where I do not feel even smaller unevenness of roads.

Thank you!
-SV

You are definitely new here since you asked which tires we will recommend.
Majority, if not all, will recommend Yokohama Spec-X. Go look it up at tirerack.com.
Best price performance choice IMHO.

I have looked at few other posts and my understanding is 20 inch tire doest go well with cx9.

So looking at tirerack website It shows Size: 245/60R18 for Yokohama parada spec-x tires.

It looks to me 245 is recommended over others. Main question I have on and average is your ride bumpy ( enough to shake your body at very low speed) ?

My main concern is my 100k mile Hyundai at times gives me feeling of better ride (except engine noise)

Is it worth changing tires at 15k?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...10&autoModClar=Touring AWD&vehicleSearch=true

It sound like something catastrophic happened to your tires involving thick tar or slurry and seems your tires are ruined, at least from your description of this tar, and the bumpiness now. Yes, sounds like you need new tires. See the wheels/tires section and there is all kinds of info in there.

No doubt you get a firmer ride on the 20" wheels, but compared to a Jeep SRT I had with 20" RFT's, it is like riding on a cloud. I like the ride of my 2011 GT

Replaced my OEM Bridgesones at 42K miles with Pirelli Scorpion STRs, P245/50R-20. Drive out from Discount Tire $881, "certificates" included. Have put 24K miles on since. They ride just a bit stiffer than the OEMs, but they are much, much quieter. Overall I'm very pleased. Keep in mind I'm in Texas - I can't speak to winter driving.

The Bridgestones I had started howling at highway speed at 15K miles (yes, I balanced and rotated). I liked their ride and performance, but the noise was awful.

I replaced the OEM tires with the Michelin Latitude Tours - 18 in. That was at about 46.5K. I have been very happy with them - dry and wet conditions.

John
2008 CX-9 Sport AWD - daily driver and kid hauler
1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo
1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged

I just replaced my OEM tires with Nitto CROSSTEK CUVs 1000 miles, sofar so good. Good in wet and dry sofar. Waiting to try snow. I paid $678 installed at Merchants.

Last edited:
Wider channels, bigger blocks are typical design for Z-rated tires.
They are dry/wet-oriented. Not designed for handling snow/ice. It is more
of a summer tire.
Spec-X is the best choice for all-season for its price (however, it is going up...).

Just bought Goodyear Wrangler HP's and they seem to be way better than the stockers so far. Have not had them in significant snow yet, but will post feedback as soon as I do.

fyi my NT850's are horrible in ice/snow.... as I anticipated.

+1 on handling slush/ice for the CROSSTEK CUV :C - I slid on some ICE today on a downward sloping road and ended up taking out a sign and crunched my left front end - unit is gone to the body shop to get:

New front bumper and cover
Replacement Steering rod
realignment for the front end
driver's side front door
maybe more - suspension

See pics

Attachments

• IMAG0367.jpg
    IMAG0367.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 226
  • IMAG0368.jpg
    IMAG0368.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 187
  • IMAG0371.jpg
    IMAG0371.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 182
  • IMAG0372.jpg
    IMAG0372.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 187
Durn sign post! I would have made it, if it wasn't for that signpost getting in my way (jerkit)

I just replaced the bridgestone oem duelers with the yokohama parada spec-x's. I hope that they are as good in the snow as the duelers were. I cannot complain about the oem tire, maybe a little noisy but very good in the snow. I paid 800 for the parada's. Was that a good price?

Parada Spec-Xs are much better on snow than the OE tires.
About the same in summer and wet pavements.

Back