Help Programming New Aux/Chip Key with 2 Smart Keys + 1 Aux Key

tommyleeyyz

:
2006 Mazda 3 GS, 2008 CX-9
Gentlemen (and Ladies),

I have an interesting situation and would appreciate any advice.

I currently have two Smart keys, each with its auxiliary key, but apparently only one auxiliary key is recognized by the car--the two Smart keys are recognized by the car. I determined this by trying to start the car with the aux keys only, with its paired Smart Key far, far away.

Before knowing about the one aux key problem, I had purchased an auxiliary key and two regular chip keys (not Smart keys) for backup (yes, backup overkill), but now it seems that I don't have what is needed to program these new keys according to the 2-Keys+New-Key programming steps, i.e. with only one recognized Aux key, I can't complete this programming--at least that I know of. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--------------------------
For those who are wondering about the programming, this is a quick summary.

1. You can program a new Smart Key as long as you have two existing Smart Keys, which are recognized, i.e. stored in the ECU, by the car. These steps involve pressing the buttons on the Smart Key, driver side door and turning ignition, etc.

2. You can program a new Chip Key as long as you have two existing Chip Keys, which are recognized by the car. These steps involve inserting keys and turning ignition sequences.

My response is based on my assumption that you have a grand touring with a smart card and not just a keyless entry fob. umm to my understanding, the aux keys are independent of the card. The only relationship the aux key has with the card is the fact that it simply sits inside the card if you need it.

You should be able to have both smartcards and program a physical key with a transponder chip. If the key you are trying to program is generic and does not have an RFID chip inside it, the car will never recogize that key.

Yes, I have the GT with smart cards. The new blanks are chipped. Member Ceric stated that smartcards and its partner aux key share the same RFID, i.e. ECU counts them as one--just saying.
AFAIK smartcards can be used to program more smartcards, and chip keys for chip keys, but smartcards used to program chip keys?? If you know the exact steps, can you outline them please.
Thanks

Last edited:
This is from an old post from Ceric:
Again, when "using key x" (in the following procedures), remove the other 2 keys from vicinity so that the ECU is not confused.

Key 1 and Key 2 are valid keys. Key 3 is the one to be programmed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Prepare key 3 for programming
2. Start the engine using key 1.
3. Verify that the security light illuminates for approx. 3 s, and then goes out
4. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
5. Using key 1, turn the ignition back to the ON position
6. Verify that the security light illuminates for approx. 3 s, and then goes out
7. Using key 1, turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position within approx. 4 s after the security light goes out.
8. Remove key 1
9. Repeat Step 5-8 using key 2 instead of key 1
10. Repeat Step 5-8 using key 3 instead of key 1
11. If an additional key is to be programmed, repeat Steps 2-10 with the additional key as key 4
12. Verify that all keys can start the engine for 5 s or more after the procedure

------------------------------------------------------
Tommy, Now since the discussion of programming is revolving around a 2008 model, we will refer to either a Smartcard or an Aux Key.
Yes, to program a smartcard you need 2 working smartcards.
However, I am not sure if it goes the same way for the Aux keys (aux key meaning any physical metal blade that you stick in the ignition regardless of shape, brand, etc).
You may try the above procedure, substituting keys for cars. Bring card1 into the car, and turn the ignition, etc etc, then take out card1 from the car, then bring card 2 into the car, turn the ignition. (do this rather than using physical keys turning in the ignition) you may be able to program an RFID inside a physical key this way. You'lle just have to try and see if it works. If not, then you will have to have the dealer program a physical key with an rfid, regardless of the style/brand/shape of the key. As far as a key being tied to a card.... I have a brand new card I bought and programmed myself, and have an original aux key in it just for the simple fact that it is an original laser cut key so if I ever need to use it, it is a perfect match and wont put strain on the tumblers in the ignition switch compared to a key that is roughly cut with a grinder. The new aux key that came with my new card could only be cut by the dealer with a grinder because they dont have a laser cutter.

The ecu can store up to 8 keys, but i'm not sure if it assigns the same code to a card and a key at the same time or not. If it does, it is merely by coincidence or circumstance. A dealer or an individual can program just a card, or just a key without programming both at the same time, so I don't see how any one key neccessarily has to share an rfid with a matching card... there is just no reason as they operate independently of each other. You can have your key at home, go to the park and only use a card so no reason exists for matching. No problem to interchange cards & keys with each other.

Ya know, on second thought, I'm thinking that the ignition transponder ring may be hooked into the keycard presence sensors & modules so that may not work. If you have under 36k miles then a dealer will reprogram a defunked key for free, but if not, you may just have to pony up. It will be worth it.

Folks,
I have a 2011 CX9 with the Advanced key system (fob). It is not a card key. I currently have two keys and would like to get a third as a backup. Can anyone enlighten me on the process to program the third fob?
Thanks.

It would take me awhile to perform a single search on here to find a thread on programming one (it is real easy, I programmed a third in less than 1 minute), but the easiest way is to look in your owners manual. Surprisingly, Mazda includes a section in the owners manual on how to program another advance card or fob. If you can't find it in your OM, let me know and I'll help you out. (fyi I sold a new style GT fob (not card) on ebay, it sold for like 5 bucks) they go for pretty cheap on ebay cuz there is not alot of demand due to the newer fob's being really reliable, not having painted buttons that wear out, newer models which haven't changed hands yet leaving a new owner with only 1 fob, etc.

helbigtw,
I haven't checked in, in a while. Thanks for the info, whether it works or not.
Cheers

goacom,
Please search this forum for instructions under "How-To" section.
I only have instructions (as listed above) for 2008 model. The newer ones might be different.

Hi tommyleeyyz,

Did you mange to find a solution for your problem. I have same issue with my Mazda 5 and would like to avoid the programming fee of my mazda dealer...

Back