05 RX8 starting problems

iceman650

A good customer of mine brought in his 2005 RX8 to be smoged and then get an oil change. I did the smog and we left it in the garage overnight so we could do the oil change in the morning. We moved it from the smog bay to the oil change bay and locked up. The next morning when we came back, the car wont start. Checked and found no spark at the plugs. Battery is fine. Tried jumping it and nothing. Very wierd. Car ran great during the smog check. Doesn't have any aftermarket alarm or anything, just the factory keyless entry. Any idea on what to do? We've had this car all week and can't figure it out, we're one step from having it towed to the dealer and eating the cost of repair.

Sorry for the long responce time. I am in the process of moving and I have not been on here in a while. You probably already have this responce form elsewhere or have given up on hte problem, but here we go.

It sounds like you may have flooded it. I know it is crazy to think that a modern fuel injected car could be flooded, but it is definately possible. There is a pretty good de-flooding procedure in the manual that should work provided everything else is good. It is also possible that the coils were on their last leg and when you were cranking the car trying to start it they gave out. The coils on this car have a very short life span compared to other cars (30K +/-) so this is what I would think happened. Replacing them is a pretty simple job. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to answer them to the best of my limited ability. Good luck.

Back