*HELP* bad shifting problems

Jackie chan

:
Pro5
Its an 02 manual tranny p5. whenever it gets hot i cant hardly get it to shift into first gear. the longer I drive it the worse it gets. Could this possibly have anything to do with the clutch? any help would be appreciated.

Check motor mounts change your gear oil in the trans replace shifter bushing. I think those are the usual fixes untill then when you have trouble pump the clutch a few times and go from 2nd to 1st

I believe there are 2 under the car I believe can't remember if there are any on the trans its self ill have to look if I get 5 minutes

All you have to do is jack the car up and look under the car. You may have to remove the exhaust heatshield from underneath. I replaced mine with the bronzoil shifter bushings from Corksport. It tightened up the shifting but I still have a small problem getting into first when it's hot.

My front motor mount needs replacing as it's torn and I haven't even examined the other mounts. I believe my problem may be a leak in the clutch master and slave cylinders since there is a squeaky noise.

I have that squeak too, but you can only hear it when its not running. How difficult is it to replace those cylinders? If there was a leak wouldn't there be fluid leaking out?

Last edited:
Maybe not so much a leak but the cylinders need replacing. That's what squeaking usually means. My guess is that the clutch isn't being fully disengaged when the car warms up maybe due to a faulty master/slave clutch cylinder and henceforth, hard shifting into first. Also, when I have trouble putting it into first and after I get it in, I let go of the brake and the car feels shaky and wants to move, so it means that the clutch isn't fully disengaged.

& It doesn't look to hard to replace them, just get a good vacuum bleeder to help out after everything's installed. This is my next project to tackle after I fix a few things.

the master slave is a pita there's a bolt on it under the dash behind the white thing that tells it if the clutch is pushed in for starting. Remove that and there's a nut behind (10mm iirc) watch for the metal edges though the cut the s*** outa my hands. The other one is on the firewall. Its just the one nut that's a pain. Of course if your a really small person it probly wouldn't be bad. If you have kids use them :)

I had a similar problem in the past. last yr. The Hotter it got, the harder it was to shift. Sometimes I thought I was going to bend the shift rod. Turned out to be an almost frozed rear transmission linkage bushing(behind cat converter). A tranny shop cranked on it for about 20 minutes trying to free it. Lots of Liquid Wrench and a long pipe attached to wrench. Thought they were going to break linkage. Once freed, it has since shifted like when it was new. Never even had to replace the bushing.

Found this site w/ pics
Hope it opens. Hope it helps.
Let me know if it solves the problem.
http://www.carinstructions.com/hard-shifting-on-manual-transmissions/

Thanx a ton guys, Im gunna replace the transmission fluid and then I'll jack her up and try what stickman said, if it works I'll let ya know.

I need to try that as well if replacing the slave and the master slave (again) doesn't work or may just do it at the same time

Good fortune - you didn't have to replace the rear!
W/ the AWR, does everything rattle like crazy now, or is all good?

The only thing that rattles is the silver bezel around the stereo, And only at idle. I love the feel of it, and it sounds much better inside the car. The wheel hop went down too.

Back