Blizzaks on OEM 20" Wheels

Rawyzf

Contributor
:
2011 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD
Does anyone have a picture or 2 of the OEM wheels with either 245/50/20 or 265/50/20 Blizzaks or winter tires mounted on them?

Since I am having trouble finding a set of OEM 18" wheels to get Blizzaks for, I might just get Blizzaks for the OEM 20" wheels and then get aftermarket wheels/tires for Summer.

Thanks!

We live in the snowbelt in Ohio and routinely receive 6"-12" of snow overnight. I am looking at the Blizzak DM-V1 snows in the 255-55R-20 size. These are 31" by 8.2" wide and do 694 Revs per mile. I am converting the 20" stock wheels to winter wheels and going to buy some new summer wheels in the spring. Currently the 9 has the Spec X's on them in a 245-50-20 size. These are 29.8" by 8.2" wide and do 698 revs per mile. Does anybody know if I'll have any clearance issues by going to a 31" tire from the 29.8" tire? I'll post pics as soon as I get them mounted up. But for now I just wanted to make sure I wasnt going to have any issues with the bigger size. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Since I can't seem to find a reasonably priced set of 18" OEM CX7/CX9 wheels, I think I might just get 20" DM-V1's also.

Other option, that I am thinking about too is getting 18" Ford Edge wheels. I like the look of them, so might go that route.

I always read that it was better to go with a narrower tire for winter/snow setups. When you have a wider tire it has more mass (snow) to push out of the way. A narrower tire will cut throught the snow and ice easier and provide better traction. Just my $.02

^^^^ That is true, remember the little tires on the Chevrolet Chevettes, they had no problem getting around in the heavy snow in Ontario.

I always read that it was better to go with a narrower tire for winter/snow setups. When you have a wider tire it has more mass (snow) to push out of the way. A narrower tire will cut throught the snow and ice easier and provide better traction. Just my $.02

Yeah, narrow is better when you are going through the snow. But the majority of the time, the roads are pretty clear and I like the additional rubber on the road at those times for handleing.

Regardless - I decided to not get snows for the 20's. I got 18's with 245/60/18 Blizzaks :).

^^^^ That is true, remember the little tires on the Chevrolet Chevettes, they had no problem getting around in the heavy snow in Ontario.

Ah, I remember those little cars!

Back