Bad front wheel hub / bearing? Need clarification w/ wheel problem.

:
03 22v P5-T
Hey guys,
So about 2 years I had both front wheel bearings replaced. I understand that a bad wheel bearing symptoms are a whirring sound at certain speeds and that there is play from 12-6 o'clock (I think, or maybe horizontally?)

But anyway, I had my tires changed recently and they said I had a bad driver's side front bearing. Problem is, the symptoms are kind of different. There is no whirring noise, but there is a slight scraping noise from the rotor. Also there is play 12-6 & 9-3 o'clock on the wheel. Is this a bad wheel bearing or is it the hub? Or maybe even something else? I'd like to get some info before I take it in to a shop and they end up charging me to replace something else that won't fix this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Wheel bearing is 12&6 and 9&3 I think. 12&6 is balljoint and 9&3 is tie rod end but I may be wrong. Either way the wheel bearing is pressed into the hub depending on damage to the hub you may have to replace it too. Wheel bearings have a lot of different symptoms my tire wouldn't budge when mine was bad as for noises I've heard them make screeching noises to huming to sounding like you have mud tires. Also make sure that caliper isn't sticking the heat from a stuck caliper can lead to premature bearing wear

"Play" at certain angles of the wheel isn't really the best way to diagnose an issue like this. With a bearing, the noise will come and go depending on steering inputs. For instance, it may stop completely as long as you are in a long, sweeping curve on the highway, only to reappear as you straighten the wheel. Not only will the noise come and go, vibration will come and go with it...it will sound and feel like mud tires after a while.

That doesn't sound like what you are experiencing. I would jack the car up and spin the wheel by hand. That may give you a better idea of what is happening. It sounds like you may have something scraping your rotor...perhaps one of the shim clips has come loose, or maybe your pads are beginning to grind because they're almost shot. From what you have described, it sounds like a brake problem. It could be you have a sticky caliper, which means you may just be able to lube the slide pins and be set.

Thank you for the info, guys.

MazdaSpeeder, even with the play that the wheel has, it doesn't have anything to do with the bearing? I realize when I turn while driving, I hear a very slight squeal/grind from the rotor. Will a brake problem cause the wheel to have to all around play?

If you wheel has "play" but no noise or vibration, it probably has more to do with worn endlinks than a bad bearing. Replace those (they're cheap and easy to do) and see what that does about tightening up the steering.

Awesome, I'll try that out ASAP. I read somewhere Focus endlinks work perfectly.

Also, how do I check if the endlinks are bad?

Last edited:
It could be a brake issue I have the same thing going on with my buick but I don't drive it much anymore. I don't think it would have anything to do with bad endlinks that they're connected to the strut not the wheel

Awesome, I'll try that out ASAP. I read somewhere Focus endlinks work perfectly.

Also, how do I check if the endlinks are bad?

2001 Escape front endlinks fit (I think, double check by searching the forum). Check them out visually...if the rubber boots are worn then they are probably bad...my car has 100k miles and the endlinks are definitely shot.

It could be a brake issue I have the same thing going on with my buick but I don't drive it much anymore. I don't think it would have anything to do with bad endlinks that they're connected to the strut not the wheel

Bad endlinks do create play in the steering...the reason the sway bar is there in the first place is to tighten up the steering. Endlinks are connected to the sway bar and the strut, ergo they play a vital role in the handling dynamic.

Last edited:
Back