Using Cross Bars without Roof Rail

alisa

:
2008 CX-9 Sport
I just bought a 2008 CX-9 which has no roof rails. After reading many of the posts on this forum, I thought I would buy roof rails to install. But, then I came across the possibilty of installing only the cross bars without the roof rails. Yakima and Thule both make cross bars that they say "attatches to OEM fixed mounting points on your vehicle's roof." I only need the bars so that I can secure a soft waterproof rooftop carrier. Has anyone installed only the cross bars and would this work.

Thanks.

Thanks, although it looks likes the bars were mounted on a car rather than an SUV - don't know if that makes a difference.

??? What pictures were you looking at?

I went to the thread noted by pdxa4 and the picture title "rack2.jpg‎" shows the full vehicle and it appears to be a car. Again, don't think it would make a difference, but I'm not sure.

Ya might want to take a look at all 4 photos - how long can it take?

There's no reason to get snide. I did look at all four pictures. I only mentioned picutre 2 because that one made it clear that the rails were installed on a car and not an SUV.

It looks like a car, that is why it is classified as a crossover and not a jeep. It is built on a car like platform.

Thanks, although it looks likes the bars were mounted on a car rather than an SUV - don't know if that makes a difference.

All four pictures are on a CX-9...

These locations on the roof are where the Mazda Roof Rail are installed to also...

Back