New, Wider Tires?

Mr. Green

:
2009 Mazda CX-9
I plan to swap my 2009 CX-9 245/50/R20 Tires with either 255/50/R20, 265/50/R20 or 275/50/R20, what do you recommend? As long as it doesn't sacrifice handling.

I believe any change in aspect ratio is going to have an effect on what you feel through the steering wheel. Correct me if I am wrong, but all three sizes you mention place more rubber on the road, and hence, more effort needed to overcome friction - meaning a deterioration in mileage. Now I don't believe that going from a 245 to a 255 is going to drop you from 20mpg down to 5 - but it all adds up. Also, I just retired from motorcycling after 46 years in the saddle. I only mention that to say that one of the things we learned about handling way back in the 1960's was that "un-sprung" weight changes really effect handling, and the heavier the wheel, or tire, or combination thereof, really begins to play heck with both handling and suspension components, when it begins to exceed the manufacturers specifications for the combination of weight, shock absorption, and steering geometry. As a final thought, you'd be well advised to check for turning clearance inside the front wheel wells before you change the width of tires. But other than that, I don't see much of a problem!

..... But other than that, I don't see much of a problem!

+1
I would probably go up to 255, but not more than that.
I used to have a Bimmer-5 with 225 tires. I changed them to a staggered setup (235/255) with
wider wheels. The MPG dropped by 10%, excessive tire wear due to negative camber (plus couldn't rotate them anymore). More unsprung weight could be felt also. The only gain to me was the roadholding around the corner. Overall, I regret what I did, but it was a memorable experience.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, seems I'll go up to 255/50/R20 at max.

My CX-9 mileage is horrible at 245, but I would like the wider tires look, wouldn't sacrifice much of the mileage for looks though.

Don't forget to try to keep the diameter the same or close to stock. So, if you go to 275 you may want to drop to a 45 series rather than 50....or your tire will be too tall.

Back to the confusion! :D

I am thinking of 245/50/R20 or 255/50/R20 for the front, and 275/45/R20 or 275/50/R20 for the back, similar to BMW X5 and X6 sport package setup, what do you guys think? should I put all 4 wheels from the same company and the same series of tires, or can fit different tire brands for each set?

Though one of the shops I went to check the prices at, the guy there told me not to go over the width of 265 for my rim size, for some reason I couldn't remember.

Mileage be damned! :D

Last edited:
Said this before, and I will do it again.
With staggered setup, you will lose the flexibility of f/r rotation.
With modern vehicle design, front tires usually wear on the outside, and rear tires wear on the inside.
If the option of f/r rotation is gone, the life span of your tires are shortened by 1/2.
Trust me, with my bimmer, I ran a set of tires every 15K or so.
Not to mention the worry of slightly diff diameters might have some impact on the AWD system when it
kicks in. No way to know how much that impact will be.

If you have AWD, do not stagger. AWD requires the 4 tires to be the size.

After reading what ceric and Rawyzf said recently,

I am down to either 255/50/R20 or 265/50/R20,

Leaning more for 265/50/R20, I might go today and check the prices for such tires and I'll update this thread with my choice of brand and size of the tires.

Cheers!

I didn't see my post, so I will post up again. I just had the same dilemma on my wifes CX9. I swapped the 2 rear for 255/50/20 to see how it would look. It really looks about the exact same on the car as the stock 245/50/20. I wanted the 265/50/20 but the price was so much more than the 255 or the 275, or at least that was the case for the Yokohama Prada. I do not have an AWD so I am considering putting 275 on the rear and moving the 255 on the fronts. I may just stick another pair of 255 on and leave it at that. If I do, I don't feel I gained what I was after since again to me it looks the same as stock.

I didn't see my post, so I will post up again. I just had the same dilemma on my wifes CX9. I swapped the 2 rear for 255/50/20 to see how it would look. It really looks about the exact same on the car as the stock 245/50/20. I wanted the 265/50/20 but the price was so much more than the 255 or the 275, or at least that was the case for the Yokohama Prada. I do not have an AWD so I am considering putting 275 on the rear and moving the 255 on the fronts. I may just stick another pair of 255 on and leave it at that. If I do, I don't feel I gained what I was after since again to me it looks the same as stock.

I believe the difference will only show from a far when it's 305+, below that you might not be able to differ.

Remember that each brand differs in sizes too. 265mm wide is gonna be different on Nitto vs General...etc.

On my G8, 245 is stock. I went from 245 to 275, noticed a nice difference in width. Recently just went to a 295, and it looks awsome.

Remember that each brand differs in sizes too. 265mm wide is gonna be different on Nitto vs General...etc.

On my G8, 245 is stock. I went from 245 to 275, noticed a nice difference in width. Recently just went to a 295, and it looks awsome.

Did it affect the car handling and the mileage?

Anyways, it seems I'll go with standard 245/50/R20, but on one of the shops I've visited, the dealer there showed me 2 tires of the standard size of the same size, but one of the was wider than the other, seems i'll opt to buy that one, the wider one, but does anyone knows why it is wider though it has the exact size? think it was either goodyear or bridgestone don't remember myself.

Did it affect the car handling and the mileage?

Anyways, it seems I'll go with standard 245/50/R20, but on one of the shops I've visited, the dealer there showed me 2 tires of the standard size of the same size, but one of the was wider than the other, seems i'll opt to buy that one, the wider one, but does anyone knows why it is wider though it has the exact size? think it was either goodyear or bridgestone don't remember myself.

The so-called width (245 = 24.5 cm) is measured from sidewall to sidewall.
Some tires are rounder (cross-section), others are more squarish. Therefore, you might think some are actually "wider"
by looking at tires of the same width spec.

Back