alright - here goes. KL-P5-take2

Workin on the 5 today and look what I pulled from the motor....

c503fc24.jpg

3d323114.jpg

Well that thars yer problem... Dang.

So you've got the FS out of there today? Are you going to clean up the bay before putting the KL in? I ran the KL harness along the firewall and got it ready while the motors were out. It makes it a little easier.

no - didn't remove the FS. I actually just....pulled that outta the hole in the block.

It's coming - slowly but surely. Still waiting on some money to get an engine stand and hoist. I'm part of a crowd that "usually doesn't mix" and we also don't drink - so I figure one of them has to have a stand and someone has a hoist I can borrow for awhile.

Like that rod....or what's left of it? ha!

ha - I frequent another auto-enthuisiast forums (mainly videos, pics, and whatnot) - and they saw that pic and asked:

"What did that?! 9.5k rpm???"

...lol

ihone, do you have ABS on your P5? I forgot about the speed sensor.

Dang. Then you will have to install a speed sensor I believe.

Got home lastnight LATE from Ewing, PA. for work. My wife, my kiddos and my friend made a run to the airport to pick me up - and all week I been hearing from my wife that "You got ANOTHER delivery today....what the f*ck is going on?" LOL! She said there were big ones, small ones, and all shapes in between.

I think the best thing is when the kiddos just do cute things.....out of nowhere. After we woke up this morning - my daughter decided to pick up something and said "Look! I have a new baby!" ha!

IMG_1185.jpg

Lewis - what will I have to install that sensor for exactly?

The speedometer. I have ABS and the speedo works off the ABS so I didn't have to mess with the speed sensors so I can't really help you out there. But I'm sure someone else can shine some light.

And awesome pic of your daughter with the muffler! Haha

OBD1 KL's use VAF's and OBD2 KL's use MAF's.
just caught this. and this isnt correct.

the only KL's that use a MAF is all years millenia, and the 98+ 626 with the KLG8. OBD2 96-97 ford probes, mx6's, and 626's still used a vaf,

being that your running a atx. your best bet really should have been a millenia harness, ecu, and maf. the KL's running Vaf's are really held back top end compared to the Maf equipped cars. hell, the Vaf ecu goes closed loop anytime your more then 3/4 throttle. which really makes for bad tuning.

Took a look at things today - still haven't had any time to find a lift or a stand.. (work and I'm procrastinating a tad.... :( )

Distributor has lug #1 broken off
PCV valve is sheared off
various lines, hoses, and belts need replacing

All in all though - seems I should be able to get away with just a little more parts and some lovin' for her.

I was thinking about what the future holds. Was wanting to ask some more questions about the ATX, and why with the proper external parts - it couldn't hold up to 300 HP. You use the classic view on using performance mods on an ATX car - and it's still the same old jive: cooler, synthetic fluid, tougher converter, and a shift kit - and you are off to the races.

just caught this. and this isnt correct.

the only KL's that use a MAF is all years millenia, and the 98+ 626 with the KLG8. OBD2 96-97 ford probes, mx6's, and 626's still used a vaf,

My apologies as you are correct, sir. I forget you can't use the words "all" when dealing with KL's since there are a thousand different version. heh-heh

time to revive this old thread and get this underway. I've sat on my ass for plenty of time, planning, scheming, picturing, and internalizing what I'm about to do to the ol' gurl. I've got the parts (just need a few minor things), an engine, a ATX, the harnesses for both, the ECU and TCU, and a few other odds and in's. Went yesterday to good old Harbor Freight - got my stand for $40.00 and got the engine hoist for $170.00. AND.....I was afraid they wouldn't fit in the car I'm driving at the moment (Saab 9-3 2.0t....smaaaalllllll in comparison to the trunkspace I'd normally have with the 5). I paid, went around back - and they dropped 4 neat little boxes in the trunk....and that was it. It all worked and I was home in no time, feigning to take this stuff out to the pad we're building at.

Quick question though - removing the front axles. I looked at the service manual, and it instructs me to (correct me if I'm wrong....but I think this is what it said) - position a prybar between the green insulator and the case of the tranny and hit it with a hammer to seperate the axles. Does that sound right? If not - PLEASE give me a solid recommendation to start getting those out tonight......driving me insane.... Other than that - the build is back on. I need to find 2 replacement front struts (remember mine blew from the road construction we had a few months back when I took it "offroading" and hit some obstructions in the road) for a decent price. I'd go back with the Stagg SHS struts, but I don't think they sell them in pairs (2). Maybe some KYB GR2's (ebay)? If I could find some Tokico blues or illuminas and someone just selling the fronts - I'd hop all over that shiz!

anyways - time for work guys! Take care, have a great day, and remember.......sticking feathers up your ass does NOT make you a chicken!

Re: axle removal... yeah, that's probably the easiest way, from my experience on a variety of other manufacturers.

Latest posts

Back