alright - here goes. KL-P5-take2

Short answer (I'm at work too);
$175 is way too much for a harness. 93-95 is OBD1 for the PGT's. There are a few 95's that are OBD2 though. The KL36/31 is a JDM ECU used for the KLZE, not the KLDE. The internals are different between the two motors. Sonce you're souring a lot of parts from that local 1996 Milly, I would go with the 96 Milly setup. The thing with KL swaps is that they like to have the same year components. Like if you're going to go with a 96 OBD2 setup, it's makes it much easier to wire things up and get the correct part numbers. Like the disty, ECU and MAF/VAF combo, etc. And OBD1 KL's use VAF's and OBD2 KL's use MAF's. They are completely different.

I don't remember if I mentioned my setup already but it's basically all from an OBD2 USDM Millenia. KL47 ECU and KL47 MAF sensor, '95 MIlly wiring harness and disty, JDM curve neck KLDE.

gotcha. I'll probably end up going with that 626 setup then - 225 for all of it...sounds best to me.

Just did a little checkin on the axles - seems (per the mazda specs in the service pages) - the axles for the 2.5L MX6 A/T and the '02 P5 2.0 A/T are listed as the same drive axles. I take it that it'll work just fine, so I'm going under a strong assumption here.

ok - harness/ecu/vaf sourced. 100+shipping from a 95' mx6 in cali. done.

Now...junkyard an ac compressor and a few other things - and it's time to get rockin!

OH - and to get a TransGo shiftkit, fluid cooler (Hayden), and a fix for the cut-off disty wires on the harness (yeah...he broke them trying to remove the harness...lol.) - then it's time to get rollin on this. I'm itchin!!!!

Here's what the guy from Cali is showing me as "the complete engine harness, vaf, and ecu". Does it look right to ya'll?

07ed18db.jpg

d422e68f.jpg

If I could get a KL guy to take a peek, and try to remember if this was the setup they used - it'd be greatly appreciated!

Just spoke to him tonight - He's sending the other harness that's remaining inside the engine bay. It goes to the disty, the alt, battery, and a few other connections (VRIS) and whatnot.

Thanks for the heads up - he said he thought maybe I'd need those anyways - was gonna just send them.

good lookin out Duff!

Last edited:
hey - something I was just thinking of actually:

Being that I'm running an ATX - does a 95' MX6/626 with the 2.5L have a PCM/TCM? Or is it controlled via the ECU? Had a brainfart and didn't even think of that.

The KL cars have a separate control module for the transmission, in the 626's its mounted on the floor behind the radio and what not. You'll need that.

Someone pointed me into a Workshop Manual for 93-97 KL 626/MX6 vehicles. Per that manual (and quoting my post on that other forum):

Looking at that workshop manual-

It appears (to me at least...) that the ECU and PCM are the same box (as long as I'm looking at this correctly). The engine connections are mainly on plug 3 and 4, with the ATX being connected to plug 2.

Unless I'm missing something - can anyone else verify this?

I looked at this for quite some time - am I going insane trying to convince myself that there's not a seperate box?

Remember I told you the auto's run a seperate ECU just for them and that you will need 3 ECU's total for your auto/KL swap?

Whoever quoted you that is wrong. I've seen it with my own eyes, the automatic cars have a separate Control Module that handles the transmission functions. It does tie into the ECU for various inputs, but they work as a team.

Good Luck.

yep, you told me. I suffer from a case of "gahhh.....I don't wanna spend that much money on a single part"-itis. I've now found the exact info I will need to make this work:

KL86-18-9E1D
KL86-18-9E1E

Depending on the year it was manufactured - it will be either one of those. Also, the donor car I've sourced all the wiring from in Cali - should still have this. Maybe he'll let it go for cheap.....well......I hope he will.

Thanks again!

Things going on soon:

T-belt/Waterpump replace
Transgo shiftkit:
TRANSGO SKCD4E-Jr SHIFT KIT CD4E, LA4A-EL1994-2004 Ford, Mazda626 Escape, Tribute, Contour, Probe, MX6 1994-1997
Corrects:
Runaway line pressure and resulting parts breakage.
Fixes:
Converter slip
Bushing wear
Planet burn-up's
Low lube flow
Fixes code 628

Hayden Trans oil cooler (OC-1404) - should keep the Mercon temps down.

Haha, it's all good. With so much on your plate I understand it's hard to keep things straight. :) My room was a mess when I was working on my swap. I had notes, manuals and crap everywhere.

yeah, I called the guy with the car - he says nothing resembling that resides anywhere near a kickpanel, near where the ecu was, nor around the shifter.

Where the hell else could it be?

I'm not positive on the MX-6's. But I know in the Milly's and 626's it's behind the shifter, like in the location of the ashtray in our P5's. The ECU and PCM for the tranny are stacked together in there.

The harness and everything you got from that MX-6 has an automatic? Because if it's a manual then he won't have the computer.

it's from an auto ..... and he found it. It took him a good piece of his morning to pull the harness, the connections, and the PCM. 110 bucks and it's on it's way.

AND - today I found that I'm going out of town for the next few weeks for work (Pennington, NJ) Monday through Friday. Should be.....interesting.

Back