alright - here goes. KL-P5-take2

A big tranny cooler, some Lentech parts and some good synthetic fluid not enough to make it survive? Always intrigued by the KL swaps. Auto, AC and the wiring/ecu impass been holding me back from this but I still can't get it out of my head vs. doing MSP turbo kit...........The sound of the KL in the video doesn't help forget about it either, lol.

I'm not trying to discourage you, we're just letting you know about the woes of a AT KL swap, that's all. And you said you want reliability, to which the automatic tranny is not. My friends mom's Milly's AT kicked the bucket with 65k miles on it.

But with all the nay-saying I've been doing, by all means do it and prove me wrong. That's why I got a JDP front lip simply because people said it wouldn't fit the P5 front bumper.

After some sleep (which I needed....haven't gotten much since Sunday...ha!) -

I'm sticking with the auto idea. I've seen plenty of a/t 626's, millys, and probe gt's around here to make me wonder some things.

The extra parts to extend the life of the a/t will DEFINITELY be utilized in this build. I'll even pin out a pigtail for the computer to make it work if I have to, because I'm interested in seeing this thing run soon.

Thanks for all the help thus far guys/gals. We'll see how it goes - I'm ordering the engine today (it comes with a harness), the trans will be on order right after the engine (ebay), and the ECU's will be soon thereafter.

Last edited:
OK - engine/tranny on the way. I got them from here in TX, and the pair cost 940 total. Should arrive sometime Wed/Thur/Fri.

Engine hoist - check.
Engine stand - check.
Place to do it that's shady - ....errr.... the spot I have isn't shady, but it's gonna have to work.
Now to get the rest of the parts I'm gonna need - then pick a week to make this swap happen.

Ok - engine and tranny delivered.

e8de181c.jpg

84183f04.jpg

12a301ca.jpg

And what looks like the carnage of an oiling problem:
34e5e252.jpg

Yep....I'd say she's deaded....

Which motor did you decide on? I thought you were going with a donor car? And is that a whole in the block of your FS?

I'm grabbing everything from this 96 milly I found in a salvage yard. It's a complete car, just totalled in the ass-end.

The engine is the curved neck KLDE and an auto trans.

That hole is in the block of the FSDE, just behind the E.M. Yep.....that'll keep her from running, right?....ha!

Here's a 1996 Milly wiring diagram. Hope it helps, mate. :)

So you'll be using the KL47 MAF and ECU, right? Pretty much the same setup I'm running. But mine is a 95.

Now....to get the stuff from the donor, get this FS out (which will be for sale for cheap just to get rid of it. The tranny is still in tip-top shape!), and delicately place this powerplant into the 5.

I did stay with an automatic trans though. My knees are both crapped out (years and years of motocross takes it's toll) and I drive frequently through, in, and around Houston (traffic is teh sukk). An auto just makes sense for my application.

Thanks for the help Lewie. All this stuff you've helped me with will be put to good use.

One more thing - I am DEFINITELY going to be keeping the A/C. I know the mounting spots are different between the milly/p5's compressors....and hell - they're not even the same compressor. I'll just have to see how things line up when it comes time to do this.

got started on some prelim work today:

took the front clip off, disconnected loads of stuff under the hood, and just cleaned up some crap that needed to disappear:

6654e076.jpg

d334010c.jpg

This week isn't going to see alot of work on her - that thing called "employment" seems to be getting in the way, ya know?

Those tire treads look familiar...Nexen/Lexani N3000s? If you need an extra pr of hands I would be willing to help out on this. Don't live around the corner anymore but used to be off El Camino/Eldorado so I know the area............

The car is down in Santa Fe now - at a buddy's house. I really couldn't do it here at the apartment - I don't think they'd understand why I have a hoist, engine stand (with an engine on it), and a tarp for shade out taking up about 3 of their parking spots.......ha!

Thanks!

PM me your info - I'm just off 2094(marina bay) and 270 (egret bay), behind the Clear Creek High School.

Yeah, They're Nexen N3000 tires.

grrrr....

Just got news tonight that my funds have been put on hold for awhile. I'm so close to be able to just slam dunk this thing in there....I just need:

wiring harness
MAF/VAF
ECU
AFPR
NA disty
Weld up an exhaust

...and that should get it going as far as I can see. Anyone with some of these parts they want to let go of for bottom dollar to help another brother from another mother?

May have a lead on a harness, ecu, maf, a/c compressor all for 225.

That sounds pretty good to me. What say you?

i12drivemyMP5 - You wouldn't happen to know someone that I could borrow an engine hoist and engine stand from, would you? My previous connection fell through - and now I'm without a way to really lift it up and work on it.

Any help would be appreciated. Anyone from Houston have something to loan?

What is the harness out of? What are the ECU and MAF part numbers? Since you're getting a MAF, I'm assuming you're going with an OBD2 ECU as well?

Reason I'm asking is to double check that everything will work for you before you drop any cash. :)

one setup is from a 96 626 - $225

another is from a 96 milly - $250

I've also gotten in touch with someone that has a KL31 and a KL36 ecu. He wants $175 for a harness from a 1993 PGT though....OBDI - hmmm.....

Just spoke with a guy in San Fransisco that's got a KL02 ECU and KL02 MAF/VAF - both to me for 40 bucks - free shipping. I'm reading that's from the OBDI era - so that'd make me have to find a harness from the OBDI era also.

Lewis - one more question: What's the advantage of OBDI vs. OBDII? Is it worth worrying about, or will it considerably effect the desired outcome? Just throwing a "hail mary" of a question out there, as I'm at work and can't concentrate on this right now.

THANKS YA'LL!

Back