Added a little swiss cheese to the lower air cleaner housing

So I decided to investigate my airbox yesterday, just to see if there were any factory obstructions in there, such as a metal water screen or anything that I could take out. Unfortunately there was not. It looks like Mazda does not have anything restrictive in there. In addition to the front snorkel tube which sucks air in from under the hood, there is also a side tube. I really wanted to remove the side tube, to just have a big gaping hole in the side of the airbox. Unfortunately Mazda has made the front tube and the side tube non-removeable. The tubes clip-on, and then there is no way to take them out without permanently breaking the tubes (which I will consider once the 50k warranty is up). Most older vehicles have tubes which simply slide on or off of the main air cleaner housing, but in this case, they apparently do not want us to be able to remove these tubes. So I was out of options, until I noticed 3 small factory holes in the bottom of the air cleaner housing. Since they serve no purpose (must be manufacturing holes) I decided to drill these holes out larger, and then drill a 4th hole, for a nice clean looking swiss cheese effect. I don't know if this would technically "void" my warranty (would be pretty hard for a dealer to make a case), but once i'm over 50k, I plan to add some more swiss cheese to the bottom of this air cleaner. While I had the airbox out, I observed yet another control module in the engine bay which just reaffirms that the cx-9 really is a computer on wheels. I also noticed that the starter had Japanese lettering all over it, so clearly the starter is not a Ford starter, so this tells me that the Japs perhaps took all the crappy Ford components off the Duratec engine, which is refreshing.

DSC07974.jpg

DSC07975.jpg

DSC07978.jpg

DSC07979.jpg

DSC07980.jpg

DSC07981.jpg

Use of Duratec was the only choice for Mazda since they didn't have a decent V6 to drive a 4500lbs vehicle.
They still don't btw. Don't know what Mazda plan to do with next-gen CX9 now that Mazda is not part of Ford.
I am sure Mazda was pick-n-choosing parts they needed from Ford. They modified the intake manifold also,
apparently not happy about Duratec's.

Yeah, I'm just glad they went through it and decided what was worth keeping and what wasn't. I guess the original small holes at the bottom of the housing are for water, in case a little bit of water got in there, it could drain out the bottom.

Whatever this control module is, I bit it has to do something with the gearbox, which is made by AISIN

I've read that MAZDA modified everything in the duratec engine they took, and BTW they build the whole engine in Hiroshima,

Whatever this control module is, I bit it has to do something with the gearbox, which is made by AISIN

It's a Powertrain Control Module. I'm assuming it's a 3.7 2wd because if it were a 3.7 4wd the part number would read, AW23-18-9E1D instead.

on my rsx before i got a CAI, i gutted my stock air box because it had little fins all over it and a wall that restricted the air flow, i was hoping you had a open shot of the box. :(

Back