Car shudders when braking and turning from high speeds

h2opololea

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Hi All - I'm hoping someone can give me some help diagnosing my engine problem. I have a 2003 P5 with 88k miles that I just bought a few days ago. No accidents on the CarFax and the last owner installed a high performance air filter and muffler to give the horsepower a little kick. I already love the car (and will most likely stay with Mazda for life), but there's a few issues I need to address to get it running like new.

My braking issue only occurs when turning and braking at higher speeds. And I think it's only when turning right, but I'm not entirely sure as I don't make left hand turns at higher speeds (and live in a city so can't test very easily). The car shudders noticeably. I'm just looking for suggestions about what it could be. I immediately go to alignment/balance issues, but could it be brake rotors? The previous owner says the car was aligned recently (though maybe he hit a pot hole or something afterwards) and the brake pads were replaced, but not the discs. I know actual warped discs don't usually happen, but maybe the pads are depositing some material or even cracked? Could it be the ABS if it only happens at higher speeds?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
i have the issue of warped rotors right now and it is more prominent at higher speeds. its not just on turns though. it could only help to replace them or get them turned.

Back