hard starting

thecrash91

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
so after i got my transmission back, my starter was making zero contact with the flywheel. i already had hard starting before the tranny work, but it wasnt that bad. so i had the starter replaced, and all was fine until last night, it started again. is it possible my battery is done? maybe a cell is messed up or something? on my turbo timer volt meter it says i have 12.5v when sitting at idle, ~14v while cruising, and when starting it varies from 10-12.5v. last night the starting was so bad it sounded like the battery was completely dead, as in when i go to start it its as if the starter is trying real hard, but it cranks slower each time i turn the key.

Last edited:
ya i would replace the battery. maybe check your alternator. Just get your charging system checked.

ya i would replace the battery. maybe check your alternator. Just get your charging system checked.

thanks for the advice, i dont think its alternator, since its always at a steady 14 volts while driving, but if the battery isnt the culprit thats definitely my next move.

Back