4th year warranty?

Hi,

Like the 2012 Mazda 5 and am going to buy it. the dealer is promoting me to buy the 4th year warranty for $725, how do you think?

How's your experience on 2006-10 Mazda 5 (headbang)? Do you have anything to fix after 3rd year warranty expired?

No way. $725 I would expect eight years and 160,000km and even then I'd prefer to put that extra money into a savings account dedicated for car repairs as really anything that could go wrong in the car that's the manufacturer's fault will happen in the first 60,000km. My car's at 144,000km and the only major repair bill I've faced is a burnt out clutch, and that's definitely not the car's fault.

Last edited:
And I bet you, they are offering to roll the $725 into the financing, too? Take the $1000+ you will save by skipping it and put in in an online savings acct and if you can go 4 years w/o touching it, use if to for something really good.

I'm going to take an automatic instead of manual car, not sure whether still have clutch problem.

But agree $725 is too expensive for only the 4th year warranty, probably not going to take this.

Well, let me break it down for ya.

Hi,

Like the 2012 Mazda 5 and am going to buy it. the dealer is promoting me to buy the 4th year warranty for $725, how do you think?

How's your experience on 2006-10 Mazda 5 (headbang)? Do you have anything to fix after 3rd year warranty expired?

I bought my (new) 2010 Mazda 5 Sport with PEP in Oct. 2010. It was the last 5 they had at the dealership. I got a good deal on my trade in. I also paid $1995 for Mazda Total Care EPP (2 extra years bumper to bumper). Yes, I did pay $2000, call me crazy but I like piece of mind for 5 years. I also get:

RENTAL CAR REIMBURSEMENT
Providing transportation when your vehicle is in for a covered repair.

TRIP INTERRUPTION (1)(2)
Reimburses for food and lodging, up to $100 per day for up to three days if your vehicle needs a covered repair more than 50 miles from home.

ROAD HAZARD TIRE AND WHEEL PROTECTION (2)
Repair or replacement of the original tires and wheels, if damaged due to a road hazard.*

You can check it out @:
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=shopWarrantyMEPP

So the people that expect 10 year/100000mile warranty for free maybe they should buy a Hyundai and drive around with a big "H" emblem and 0.00001 inch thick sheet metal. I know I had a 98 kia sephia before (brand new for $10000). You could blow @ a door panel and it would dent. I once put a temporary dent in it while washing with water pressure. LOL.

...Reimburses for food and lodging...

...I had a 98 kia sephia...
Wow, never heard of any car warranty that covers FOOD and LODGIND! BUT (there's always a but), you are limited to $100 per day x3 days!..

I'm not surprised at your experience with a '98 Kia but you have to admit Kia today is very different than Hyundai/Kia of yester-years. Consider yourself a pioneer that help the company grow to what it is today. You cannot deny their 100K warranty as it put all other manufacturers on notice and single handily help them get to where they are today.

IMHO, warranty's are a luxury item that may or may not suite your life style. For drivers who want to be completely hands off with maintenance, go for it. If you are frugal or think it will provide savings for you in the period of coverage, it is not for you.

Think about how/why they offer the warranty package that is available? It is available b/c big corporation have an army of actuaries that have done all of the probably and theoretical calculations to come up with a package that will make THEM money! Warrantees were not made to protect you but as a means of profit in the name of convenience. Also, be careful of ‘deductibles’ and other clauses/limitations (powertrain vs bumper to bumper) –that can bite you.

Last edited:
The '06s still had the 4 year/50K warranty in the US and we definitely used it. Can't remember all the timing and details but I believe we replaced stabilizer bar bushings and the clutch master cylinder during year 4. Keep in mind the '06s are regarded as problematic.

Having said that, I still wouldn't take a one-year warranty for $725. I'd take my chances.

Back