Blower motor stopped working

karenscar

:
2007 Mazda CX9
the blower motor for the front of our 2007 CX9 stopped working for the A/C and heat. Wondering if anyone has had this problem and how to fix. I checked the fusues and they look good.

any help is appreciated

Well first off, welcome to the forums. There is alot of useful info in here. If you read through the forums, you will find multiple posts relating to electrical relays for the blower motors both in the front and the center of the vehicle. There is a technical service bulletin for this. Now usually the blowers go to max when you turn the car off, and this is the problem, but if you are saying yours stopped working, it could be either the relay or the blower motor, but likely the relay. I would encourage you to update your profile, and rather than "Mazda CX9" you should have the year as well so that we know how to address your questions, as alot of problems are year(s) specific. Also, you posted this in "Accessories." Just a friendly nudge to make sure you post in the right category to get the best answer for your questions. I would bet that your problem is the blower motor relay, the part is about 15 bucks and easy to replace. I would try that first before anything else.

thanks for the reply, I was not sure where to post the question. where would you suggest it should be

could you explain where the blower motor relay is located

Hey no problem. Best category would be either no category or in electrical, but no biggie. Blower relay is behind the cooling fan. I don't have time right now to search the threads, but look through the cx-9 electrical threads, and the main threads of cx-9 and people have posted the exact location. Pretty sure its the fuse black just behind the cooling fan. (owners manual also should/may show you which relay is the blower relay)

bingo it was the relay got one today but they gave me the wrong one so I swapped the two of them and know the front works and the back does not. Calling them for the correct one probably going to purchase 2 and replace both.

thanks for quick reply, you made my wife happy :)

Hi, I have the same problem with my 2008 Mazda CX-9. For a while the blower was turning on and off and then it started working normal again for a good 2 months now it wont turn on at all. Rear AC seems to work just great. I'm hoping this is a relay problem also because changing the motor is significantly more expensive. Does anyone know how I can make sure before I take it to a mechanic who might want to make me change the motor even though it is a simple problem? Like the person before me I'm not really sure how to use this forum and where to post questions so I hope this will be seen by someone.

Thanks, Niki

Look under hood. You will find a relay box closest to the driver's side fender. Pop the lid off and you will see a bunch of plastic squares and rectangles. These are the relays. You are looking for two large square ones. Replace them with Part Number (PN) G115-67-730; 2 are required. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. Use a pair of pliers to pull out the old ones. Good luck.

I'm new to the forum but have experienced the same issues mentioned above. However, I have replaced both relays and the front blower still doesn't work. Any other suggestions before looking into replacing the blower. Also, does anyone have an idea of how much one costs? I can replace it myself but would like an idea of what the part is going to cost me. Thanks for any feedback!

Has anyone ever experienced the resistor going bad? Would like to explore this route before replacing the blower motor.

Look under hood. You will find a relay box closest to the driver's side fender. Pop the lid off and you will see a bunch of plastic squares and rectangles. These are the relays. You are looking for two large square ones. Replace them with Part Number (PN) G115-67-730; 2 are required. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. Use a pair of pliers to pull out the old ones. Good luck.

Are the relays the same part # for front & back? My 2010 rear has stopped blowing intermittently. ..

Hello,

I have a similar problem with my 2007 Mazda CX-9 Sport. So, my problem started with the A/C being on for about 4 hours straight. There were also some water spills on the front passenger side from the A/C. Every time I make a turn, there is a weird somewhat-screeching sound, most likely from the fan hitting the water, as some people on various forums pointed it out. I was told this is due to the drainage pipe being clogged. Ever since then, the front blower motor giving me a problem.

The rear blower works perfectly fine, for cold and hot air. However, the front blower makes a dying noise when the cold air is on, and sometimes just doesn't do anything at all. It does tend to work better when the heat is turned on. I have changed both of the relays, but the problem remains.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Hello, I had a problem with the blower after having the heating system flowed with water. Some times the blower worked some times not. Since I couldn't open it, I poured isopropyl alcohol on it and washed. There is a small flap door that can be opened for easily reaching the motor. The alcohol came out black with a lot of debris. I also moved the rotor by hand, then left it for 5 minutes to dry and then put it back. Now it works like a charm.

Hello,

I have a similar problem with my 2007 Mazda CX-9 Sport. So, my problem started with the A/C being on for about 4 hours straight. There were also some water spills on the front passenger side from the A/C. Every time I make a turn, there is a weird somewhat-screeching sound, most likely from the fan hitting the water, as some people on various forums pointed it out. I was told this is due to the drainage pipe being clogged. Ever since then, the front blower motor giving me a problem.

The rear blower works perfectly fine, for cold and hot air. However, the front blower makes a dying noise when the cold air is on, and sometimes just doesn't do anything at all. It does tend to work better when the heat is turned on. I have changed both of the relays, but the problem remains.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

z2llsnoopy, you AC drain is clogged, it's a simple fix, you need to find the drain under your CX-9
and blow some compressed air to unclog it, see here:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123843092-Musty-smell-through-vents-when-A-C-is-OFF

Same issue with my 2011 CX-9. Front stopped working mid trip. I can get the rear blower to work. I read this forum, checked the relays. Since the rear worked I figured that if I just switched the front and the rear that the front would work and the rear wouldn't. Nope, front still doesn't work and the rear still does. The relays are light blue. I checked all fuses and nothing blown. No strange noises from the blower prior to it not working. So what is next? ANY guidance is appreciated.

Mazda CX9
2007 90k miles

AC BLower in the front stopped working. Problem started when turning off the car the blower in the front would continue. Safe to say this might be an indicator for future issues. Going to Auto Zone today thanks all for the comments above. I will keep you posted as to how it went. Going to try to install myself.

I was quoted $500 and mechanics immediately alluded to the problem being the blower motor itself. Glad I checked here first.

Mazda CX9
2007 90k miles

AC BLower in the front stopped working. Problem started when turning off the car the blower in the front would continue. Safe to say this might be an indicator for future issues. Going to Auto Zone today thanks all for the comments above. I will keep you posted as to how it went. Going to try to install myself.

I was quoted $500 and mechanics immediately alluded to the problem being the blower motor itself. Glad I checked here first.

hi amendew9,

I believe it's a simple fix, your AC blower relay failed, just need to swap it out with a new one, very simple

hope this helps you out : here you go: http://blog.yagelski.com/2011/10/mazda-cx-9-blower-motor-stays-on-after.html

updated and latest Mazda part number L1Y167730 you need (qty. 2 one for front and one for rear) very easy fix

on ebay about $7 each : https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
hi amendew9,

I believe it's a simple fix, your AC blower relay failed, just need to swap it out with a new one, very simple

hope this helps you out : here you go: http://blog.yagelski.com/2011/10/mazda-cx-9-blower-motor-stays-on-after.html

updated and latest Mazda part number L1Y167730 you need (qty. 2 one for front and one for rear) very easy fix

on ebay about $7 each : https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

My center row HVAC fan stopped working (actually, it worked intermittently). I followed the advise above, bought the part from my local Mazda dealer (better price than online), and now everything is working well again.

Just like to add that you should also check the fuse (because my worked intermittently, I knew the fuse hadn't blown).

Karl

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm new here and I needed to jump on this topic.

2009 Mazda CX-9 Sport:
Had the A/C on for about 3 hours straight while tailgating during a VERY HOT August concert last summer. (not sure if that's a factor at all or not). A few weeks later, the fan control for the front blower started to not function correctly. It would work sometime, other times nothing. Tried all sorts of different combinations of temperature, fan speed, DUAL/non-DUAL, recycled air, etc, trying to jostle it to get it to work properly. The rear blower in the center for the middle row works fine. Only the front blower seems screwy. When it DOES turn on and work, I hear like a fast ticking sound coming from inside the front vents. When I turning off the ticking slows to a stop.

It's been this way since the summer. Now it's winter, and sometimes the heat takes forever. I BELIEVE maybe the fan/fan motor is starting to bite the dust. I don't think it's the blower relay because the fan does spin and blow, eventually. Takes a little warming up of the car first, especially now in mid-January in NJ. It will start blowing hot heat into the interior from the front vents, but again, only after the car is FULLY warmed up. Even when the fan is blowing, it still doesn't blow with the same force as it used to. Really sucks on those 10 degree mornings with barely any front defrost action happening.

Again, I would take a gander and say it's NOT the relay. I also never noticed a damp/wet passenger-side carpet back in the summer when I had the A/C on for a really long time while parked, indicating to me that the A/C drain plug is NOT clogged.

I'm guessing this is strictly the blower motor going bad, but would love to hear anyone's thought after detailing my symptoms.

Thanks in advance!

My air con blower would work when it wanted to so I replaced it with a new one that I purchased from Amazon. Now it's not blowing, I can't feel cold air when I put my hand up to the vents. Plz help me.

Back