need more power!

YlwMSP

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
My MSP is completely stock, and I plan on changing that come this fall, I want to get to at least 200 whp, but would really like 250 whp. Anybody know if this is even possible with stock internals, or are forged required for that kind of power? I really want forged, but might be a little ways down the road before that comes close to happening.

thats pretty sweet, it doesnt seem like a lot to get power out of these cars, but the stock internals scare me a little. especially cuz its getting a bit older now.

Just save up for forged ull be glad u did. U could always try to put a bigger turbo on but u might throw a rod

I could do forged, Im in school for automotive engineering, so I have the space and tools to at my disposal (and know how) to do it. I might just look for a separate block and just build it while im driving it now.

Anybody running an untuned unichip? And if so, what is the whp gains of that, and then what is it when its tuned? Theres a few used ones in the FS section for a lot less than the $1k for a spiffy new one.

I havent dyno'd yet but am hoping for 240-250ish im all stock internals and stock turbo pushing 10-12lbs Daily!!! But altitude here sucks so i can get away with running that much boost. I'll hopefully be hitting the dyno soon the local car guys get a group together everyonce in a while and do a $40 dyno day

you got the unichip, or just an SSAFC? Cuz i really want to get that much power out of my car, but not go forged just yet, until i have another car to drive while doing that.

I have pretty much all stock, too. Except for a CorkSport Turbo Back, and Tein suspension. Bought it that way. 92k on it. I want to buy this D2P EBC http://www.ebay.ca/itm/D2power-full-electronic-boost-controller-USA-SPL-/230549840580?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35add762c4....but does anyone have one, and is it legit? I'm cheap...haha. I can't afford all that customization and expensive aftermarkets. JoeP FPR is on its way. Anyone have installation instructions? Also ordering a SteedSpeed manifold because my stock one has about a thousand cracks in it already. Ughh, so many small mods, so little cash...

For the JoeP FPR, you remove the vacuum line that runs from the intake manifold to the fuel pressure sensor (black sensor with brown plug right on top of the intake mani by the Throttle body) and cut it and put a vacuum T in there. Then run the line the FPR comes with off of that T and install the check valve with the arrow pointing away from the manifold, and connect the rest of the line to the other end of the check valve and secure it. If you don't have a wideband, be extremely careful with this fuel pressure reducer, I don't recommend you mess with any tuning until you have at least a wideband.

Sorry, but what's a wideband? And how can I acquire it? I just ordered a Vibrant Performance MBC, too. This is an every day driver, so I'm thinking 8psi is a safe jump from stock?

Wideband 02 sensor, and be extremely careful with that MBC. You are talking about two mods that are an easy recipe for Zoom Zoom Boom with a stock tune, the FPR and the MBC. Don't raise the boost, honestly 8 is probably safe but if you don't have a boost gauge don't even think for a second about any kind of boost controller unless you don't mind building a new motor.

Dang. So what do I need to do in order to be safe with these little upgrades? Boost guage, Wideband 02 sensor, and I'm straight? I've peeped your mods. Very nice, but I'm just trying to get a little more boost and make sure everything's running right when I do so. I won't have the car for too much longer because I want to convert to biodiesel. And I really can't afford to mess it up before I get something else.

You'd be surprised how much of a changed car you'll have (for the better) with just a good turbo back exhaust, intercooler setup and an external wastegate dumping to atmosphere set to about 9psi (good, but not required), and a VTCS-less intake manifold on the stock flashed ECU. This is an easy 40WHP gain, which doesn't seem like a lot on paper, but transforms the car into something else completely! I ran this setup for close to 60k miles with no problems aside from some oil burning issues, but that's probably because I beat the crap out of it every single day. The car was able to run a 103mph trap speed in the 1/4mi with this setup.

Last edited:
I need a midpipe and IM then. I recently rode in a mostly stock MSP with solid MMs, SSAFC, and 3" midpipe and highflow cat and the difference was unbelievable.

Can you still take your car to the dealer and have them flash the ECU? cuz today while driving home from work, i know it wasnt heat soak of the IC cuz it was a little cooler out, and i hadnt driven long enough for it to happen, but i gave it about half throttle, and it bogged down like an b****. I think i read somewhere that the ECU is a recall thing and that most mazda dealers will do it for free. Assuming thats what the flashing of the ECU does, kinda evens out the amount of fuel being put into the engine.

Can you still take your car to the dealer and have them flash the ECU? cuz today while driving home from work, i know it wasnt heat soak of the IC cuz it was a little cooler out, and i hadnt driven long enough for it to happen, but i gave it about half throttle, and it bogged down like an b****. I think i read somewhere that the ECU is a recall thing and that most mazda dealers will do it for free. Assuming thats what the flashing of the ECU does, kinda evens out the amount of fuel being put into the engine.

Yep, it's still possible but you'll have to pay for it. I believe it's around $100. I might have to do the same to mine, although I have a unichip sitting around which needs to be tuned, too.

Back