Introducing the 2013 Mazda CX-5

For those who haven't seen it yet...Mazda released a Full Promo Video...Enjoy! :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-OmZUuP4g9U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mazda CX-5: Designed for the mountain biking, roller skating, weight lifting, yoga stretching, suit wearing, coffee drinking, heel clicking, loud screaming, demographic.

For those who haven't seen it yet...Mazda released a Full Promo Video...Enjoy! :D

the cheetah cut at :18 is probably the coolest thing I've ever seen. I love cheetahs.

well, the coolest thing in a car commercial anyways.

It appears that we Canadians will be getting a diesel option. This will definately be on my list when it comes time to replace/let the kid have, the P5.

CX-5 's twin the 2013 Ford Escape Rare video

Here is what the new Mazda's twin will look like. Vary rare interior/exterior look .

Little odd that its just sitting on the side of the road...

That supposed Ford Escape looks super-awkward and tall, especially when compared to the Mazda. Unless most of that is because of the camouflage paneling...

The Mazda CX-5, First in Auto Industry To Debut Ultra-High Tensile Steel Bumper Beams

In collaboration with Sumitomo Metal Industries and Aisin Takaoka, Mazda has become the first automaker to successfully develop vehicle components with 1800 MPa ultra-high tensile steel. The super-strength steel will first be used in the all new Mazda CX-5 crossover SUV, launching early 2012.

Mazda will use the 1800 MPa ultra-high tensile steel for bumper beams which are fitted inside the front and rear bumpers. The bumper bars will be 20 per cent stronger than previous versions, whilst weighing in at 4.8kg less, making them a key part of Mazda's next generation, lightweight and highly rigid vehicles architecture. The new body architecture has been developed as part of Mazda's SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY programme incorporating a new energy absorbing structure and the use of high-tensile steel in order to reduce weight.

High tensile steel has the benefit of offering the same degree of high strength whiles being thinner, leading to large weight savings. By reducing the bumper beams is particularly important, as they are incorporated into the body structure at the farthest point from the vehicle's centre of gravity meaning their weight has a significant impact on performance and responsiveness of the vehicle. Due to their role in collision protection, they must also be strong. Mass production of parts with stronger steel has been highly sought after for these reasons.

Stronger materials are also less pliant, meaning they absorb less energy during an impact. In order to overcome this issue, extensive research was conducted by Mazda, focusing on how bumper beams deform in a crash. Mazda created a new design that will absorb energy more efficiently. To ensure the bumpers offer the most strength for the Mazda CX-5, Mazda collaborated with Guta Kogyo to optimise welding techniques and establish a reliable manufacturing process.

mazda-cx-5-07-10-11.jpg

[Carpages UK]

Some automotive magazines say the CX-5 will be available February 2012 (US; at least the gas engine version).
I read MT and C&D first drives but I feel I am completely in the dark regarding many things about this car. This is weird, since it's said to be available pretty soon.
Some sites say it (gas engine) will have ~160HP and ~153 lb-ft and targeted for 40 MPG FWD (that would be awesome). It should have AWD and be available in 6AT and MT. Also, seems it will not be similar to anything from Ford.
But what about the AWD version? How much MPG penalty would it get? CX-7 is rated 21/17 for AWD, which is pretty sad.
From what you may know of other Mazdas, how good is the AWD, say compared to Subaru Forester?
Also, C&D estimated it would be 3300lb (FWD probably) which is what a RAV-4 weighs. Is that a little much for 160HP engine?
Why is Mazda providing so little information?

To keep you wanting more...

...or they just don't have the information to give yet.

3300 sounds lights to me for an SUV. the CX-7 is 4000 with the AWD.

By comparison, the FWD CX-7 is 3800, so its only adding 200 for AWD, so i would imagine about the same to be true for any car.

the AWD system in the CX-7 and MS6 is a good system. Its a fairly complex system using the traction control/stability control/etc to determine how much power to put to the rear wheels. the rumor is that its live from 90/10 front wheel biased to 50/50. i've never really seen that confirmed though.

BTW, both my cars are AWD, and I dont think I'd want another FWD.

the Diesel will be a twin turbo. 173hp and 310 lb ft, iirc. if they bring that with a 6 spd and awd that would be awesome. there would really be no need to look elsewhere.

155 hp is going to hurt.

compared to the AWD cx-7 we have now, 25-30mpg is amazing. we tend to average just about 20, with the high end being like 23 on a long road trip.

the Diesel will be a twin turbo. 173hp and 310 lb ft, iirc. if they bring that with a 6 spd and awd that would be awesome. there would really be no need to look elsewhere.

Mazda: please please please bring the diesel AWD to the US this February!!!
Otherwise, I think a Subaru will be in my future.

Back