Looking to buy:Drivers seat repair

Donas64

:
2002 MP5
After one too many doughnuts, my drivers side seat said "no mas!" and the hinge that hold up the front right corner of the snapped. The dealer wants a ludicrous sum to replace the whole assembly under there.

I can still sit in the seat just fine, but it pinches a nerve in my leg. Is anyone who maybe converted to sportier seats looking to get rid of their old under seat pieces or is my best bet to go to a "pick n save" ?

Also, I could attempt a jury rigged solution myself? The seat is still securely anchored, just the front right corner can be pushed up and down.

uh, I did the exact same thing. there is the one bracket that broke that is used for adjusting the front up and down with the dial.
I need that one part!

uh, I did the exact same thing. there is the one bracket that broke that is used for adjusting the front up and down with the dial.
I need that one part!

I think the dealer is trying to gouge me. I don't see how I'd need an entire new assembly for the sake of one bolt.

Some of the guys on here have installed Mz3 seats and they look great, but they do require getting the right sets of brackets. A junkyard or partout would be a good bet. I'm pretty sure all Proteges (not just the P5s) had the same seat, so if you could find one in a yard, you could get what you want.

Well if anyone else has a broken or wobble in the driver seat I have a 54 cent fix. My seat has been broken since I bought my p5 and driving me crazy so I pulled it and fixed it with a grinder, 5/16 in x 1 in bolt <.17 cents> , 5/16" hex lock nut <.15 cents >, and two 1/4" washers <.11 cents each>.

The front right side has a swivel bracket that was welded to the front bar that runs side to side this is where mine was broke. You could go take it to someone who can weld it back to the bar or fix it yourself. First remove the bracket from the seat pan with the broken hinge 12mm bolt. Next you need to grind off the pin that holds the two swivel brackets together, just grind down the pin flush and pop the broke piece off with a screw driver. Put the bracket back on the seat pan but leave the 12mm bolt loose. You can see the hole on the seat rail that is going to line up with the bracket. Push the bolt with a washer through from the rail side through the bracket hole that you just ground off the pin. Install a washer and the lock nut. Tighten everything up and install the seat back in the car. Just one note this works best if you keep the seat adjusted all the way down, if you raise it, it is going to be a little wop sided as the front right side is not going to have the travel it had before.

Here is the broke bracket that is welded to the bar.

Here is where you need to use your grinder or dremel, just grind it flush.

Just pry the brackets apart and reinstall to the seat pan.

And here is the finished product all bolted up with no more wobble.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back