2012 Mazda5 trailer hitch

:
2012 Mazda5 Sport AT
U-haul sells and installs them for the 2012 already: Sportframe 1.25" #29151. I had one put on about three weeks ago now so I could use a cargo carrier and bike rack. The installation requires modification/removal of the muffler's heatshield and enlargement of mounting holes. The hitch costs $150 and installation was another $50 or so. Here are pics:

2.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Very nice, I was just about to post this.

Few questions
1) Do you know how heavy the hitch is?
2) Do all UHAULS do it (I am not sure I trust local uhaul monkeys to open up my brand new car)

3) Do you have any pics of cargo carrier/bike rack that will go with it (that is what I am looking for).

4) When you say enlargement of mounting holes-do you mean drilling into the caR?

Thanks.

Very nice, I was just about to post this.

Few questions
1) Do you know how heavy the hitch is?

I think it's in the neighborhood of 40-50 lbs. I can't find my documentation on it right now but that sounds about right. The Mazda5 has a maximum tongue weight of 200 lbs.

2) Do all UHAULS do it (I am not sure I trust local uhaul monkeys to open up my brand new car)

No, only U-Hauls that install hitches. I had to drive about an hour to get to one.

3) Do you have any pics of cargo carrier/bike rack that will go with it (that is what I am looking for).

Not right now, but I will soon. I'm going on vacation on Friday and I'll be using the cargo carrier then. I'll get pictures while we're gone and post them when I get back.

4) When you say enlargement of mounting holes-do you mean drilling into the caR?

Thanks.

There are already access holes, but they need to be slightly enlarged. Here's an installation manual on a similar hitch. If I had the tools I would've bought and installed this hitch instead of going to U-Haul. Until I get a garage I can't do these sorts of modifications:

http://www.etrailer.com/instructions.aspx?pn=C11127

Got back last night. Sorry for the low quality, had to take these using my phone.

Empty carrier before the trip:
carrierempty.jpg

A week later with a light load for the return trip:
carrierloaded.jpg

Interior view of stuff for four adults for a week at the beach:
carrierloaded2.jpg

Thank you so much for pic.

Where did you buy the carrier? Was it hard to install on the hitch?

Thanks

It's really easy: just slide it into the hitch and secure it with a clip and pin. I picked this model up at Dick's Sporting Goods for about $70.

Latest posts

Back