Ticking noise from stop.. What is this?

BigA619

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
When i start to accelerate from a dead stop i hear approximately 3 or 4 ticks and then it goes away.. i dont know what it could be. I just dont want to launch from stop cause im scared something will happen. Im no mathmatition but I think it has something to do with my lsd. but my car still drives fine i just dont want things to get worse any sugggestions other then the obvious DONT LAUNCH haha

How Loud is it? I had this an it turned out to be a screw in my tire haha

Its not that loud at all and it doesnt tick the whole time i drive, just when i start to go, ill check for screws, it would be nice if thats all it is lol

How's your oil level? At certain RPMs spun bearings can make noise. IF you are at cruising speed (minimal engine load) do you hear any ticks? I know you said that you only hear it coming from a stop but maybe you aren't hearing it at different levels when in motion. I suppose another problem could be wheel bearing or CV.

Ive been reading about about it and i think it could be the CV how much is that to get fixed?

The MSP has unique larger axles so it's not too cheap, especially compared to a normal protege. The regular axles fit just aren't as strong and should hold up fine to a relatively stock MSP.

axles dont normally go bad and when they do you will know when you turn sharply it will click loudly. Would not be a wheel bearing either, you would hear it when you get up to speed and you would know that by driving down the road, cut the wheel one way it will get louder, cut it the other way it will go away.

The MSP has unique larger axles so it's not too cheap, especially compared to a normal protege. The regular axles fit just aren't as strong and should hold up fine to a relatively stock MSP.

The MSP has unique larger axles so it's not too cheap, especially compared to a normal protege.
20.creation.jpg

Could be your pipe? I have a blown cat and it ticks at idle because the pieces inside the cat are bouncing around in there.

could it possibly be his lsd starting to go? he would hear it off the line but not once it gets moving...may not have blown but it could be bad diff bearings or its starting to fall apart. just a thought

is it when your on a steep incline, cause mine used to do this but it went away. so i would like to know this also. i had abt 3-4 too.

Back