Engine noise exaggerated from 1500-1800rpm

ijbrekke

:
2015 Mazda 6
I have an odd problem/annoyance that's developed lately: I get excessive engine noise from 1500-1800rpm, but ONLY in that range. It seems to be a very low resonating frequency, like loud bass buzzes through a car trunk. It bothers me because that's essentially the rev range I use at every launch of the car, so I hear it a lot around town. It's loud enough for friends to notice.

I visually inspected the exhaust system with a friend revving the engine in that range, and couldn't find any leaks or rattles. I suspect motor mounts, maybe? The front is cracked, that I'm sure of.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like the engine needs to be under a load for it to make noise.. Find someone you trust. Have them brake torque the engine. Go around the car and see if you can hear it.
I have a noise in your RPM range. But im 99% its my trow out bearing.. Cuz it goes away when the clutch is pushed in when i have the car in neutral...

JT

yeah motor mount is a good guess. Kinda like when you get rigid AWR mounts you'll also get RPM sensitive vibes.

I tried to take a video, but the vibration/ear pounding isn't really coming through except for an associated dash rattle at 1600 rpm. I checked all the heat shields today, and they are bolted solid (no rust, California car). I'm leaning more and more towards motor mounts.

I purchased RR Racing inserts, but not I'm hesitant to install them. Maybe just start with the front to avoid unnecessary vibes?

have you ever done anything to the tranny or shifter?
because come to think of it, ever since i put in my short shifter (had to bend the heat shield) at really low rpms and at load the exhaust rattles sometimes and hits the shield making a noise.
i know that all i have to do is bend it a little more but i've been too lazy xD

Back