Battery Terminals / Positive Battery Cable Replacement Options

pro5turbo

:
2003 Mazda Protege' 5
Hey gang - I gots a question for you.

So apparently now my car's positive battery connection had battery acid all over the battery terminal and possibly coroded the positive cable. These douchebags at the dealership think they're going to scam me for 1400 for a new cable harness, which includes an new pos/neg cable connection, new terminals, and it had better come with some busty blonde too for that price as well.

Do any of you know a cheaper, but yet quality options to replace these connections outside the dealership? Any advice/help you can provide would be appreciated.

Depending on the severity of the corrosion, you can get a new cable end at autozone, cut and strip your old cable back a few inches and attach the new lead. I would have baking soda and water, along with a tub and a wire brush on hand. I found that the corrosion was working back into the cable, but it was nothing a few soaks in baking soda water and some scrubbing couldn't fix. Finally, when you reinstall everything, cover every exposed piece of metal with some of the battery terminal stuff you can get at the auto parts store. It will make a big difference.

Hahahaha, I lol'd at the first post.

$1400 for a new battery cable harness is highway robbery. That blond better be able to cook at that price. Go with what MazdaSpeeder said. If the whole harness, for some reason, is completely FUBAR, I would just make a couple of new cables if I were you - pick up some welding cable at any welding supply shop or I think you guys have it at Lowe's (go for 4AWG while you're at it) and then go to Fry's or Best Buy or any place that sells car audio, and buy some 4AWG ring terminals and a couple battery terminals. Total cost should be under $60, and you could probably even get an audio shop to do the install for a little extra.

Come meet me in Montana next weekend and I'll do it for a case of vanilla coke :D

aha, ide drive down to the states and do it for him for a case of vanilla coke :p that ish's good lmao

the oem terminal are pretty weak, i went to autozone and got beefy one of $10 bucks and cut mine back 1 inch. after you do it please see the underline cause of the corrosion. battery leak??? mine was.

Back