99 Miata Engine Replacement

sounds like you're making some good progress! i won't be able to lend a hand tomorrow, sorry man!

Engine is still not out. Finally found a 30mm open end wrench last night to disconnect the tie rods from the steering rack. Also determined that the level of severe rust on the exhaust parts is going to mean that I will be cutting off most of the existing exhaust. I can't even tell what size several of the bolts are supposed to be. So new exhaust is needed, but quickly solved.

I feel like I'm cheating to get a Jackson Racing header, downpipe, high flow cat, short pipe, and Borla catback for $350. I pick it all up tomorrow morning. And actually is from the same car that I got the replacement engine from, interestingly enough found it and started to respond before I realized it was the same guy that advertised the engine I bought.

So the last issues getting the subframe dropped appear to be solved, and it should be dropped tonight or tomorrow, depending on what the weather does.

I'll be putting that Borla catback or my current Roadstersport3 catback up for sale for $100 or so once I determine which one I like better.

A few pics of the past day or so:

Almost free
IMAG0001.jpg

It's out!
IMAG0005.jpg

New Jackson Racing header and highflow cat. Well, newly purchased. Obviously used. You can see the CA spec boat anchor and header-cat in the above pic.
IMAG0003.jpg

Next weekend is a trip to MD for a funeral (great aunt, 101 years old) and if I don't have the Miata up and running before mid-day friday, I've got to rent my wife a car for the weekend.

I ended up leaving the Borla cat-back with the guy I bought the exhaust stuff from. He hadn't seen a long crack from the flange to the can until in the daylight when I came to pick everything up. Not a big deal since I have the new Roadstersport3 anyway.

Last edited:
Miata left to-do:
- Create wire harness extensions for both O2 sensors (add ~2 feet for the front O2, add ~4 feet to the rear O2. CA spec emissions has them MUCH farther forward, around the header cat. I basically need to move them to the non CA spec locations)
- Reconnect battery
- Start it up
- Pull it forward onto the patio
- Lift the rear and install the high flow cat.

Radioshack opens in 7 minutes so I can pick up the wiring type and size needed.

Should only be a couple hours now :)

Ran into plenty of issues, including:
- finding that I damaged the motor mounts at some point during moving the engines around outside the car, and had to wait 2 weeks for the FM order to arrive
- Finding that the header's O2 sensor was seized, had a shop break it free, then found that whatever monkey installed it in the first place cross threaded the O2 sensor, destroying the O2 sensor threads and damaging the header threads. $10 re-threading bit from autozone and 20 minutes fixed that the next day

The engine went back in last saturday, and it's been steady progress since then each day.

Tempted to name the Miata "Irene" (rofl2)

The Miata lives!

What's more, it idled smoothly, revs freely, and no check engine lights!

All me, took 5 weeks, about $1,300 total.

Still in the backyard, will pull it out tomorrow.

I still really wish I could've helped with this. :/ Wonderful that I own two cars yet neither of them work for the past month. Yay.

Video just after getting it out of the back yard and into the driveway. The high flow cat wasn't installed yet, so the exhaust is quite a bit louder than usual.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcgtE201u1k

Put 18 miles on it yesterday, drove it into work today. Everything running smooth. ODB2 data showing everything perfect. No codes or pending codes. Pulls really well.

My total list for the project:
- Replaced engine, water pump, header (upgrade), cat (upgrade), motor mounts (upgrade), plugs, wires, valve cover gasket, alternator belt, O2 sensor, crank angle sensor, all water lines, and all fluids.
- Completely cleaned the valve cover, pulleys, UIM, LIM, throttle body, EGR, and intake.
- Built wiring harness extensions for both O2 sensors.
- Deleted power steering and A/C. (enjoying no PS actually)

Total cost was about $1,300, including $350 for the replacement exhaust and about $150 in reusable tools.

Quite satisfied with the results and total cost.

Still have to get the Koni yellows in though :)

Congrats! on a job well done. When are you bringing it out to it's first Auto-X?

My total list for the project:
- Replaced engine, water pump, header (upgrade), cat (upgrade), motor mounts (upgrade), plugs, wires, valve cover gasket, alternator belt, O2 sensor, crank angle sensor, all water lines, and all fluids.
- Completely cleaned the valve cover, pulleys, UIM, LIM, throttle body, EGR, and intake.
- Built wiring harness extensions for both O2 sensors.
- Deleted power steering and A/C. (enjoying no PS actually)

Total cost was about $1,300, including $350 for the replacement exhaust and about $150 in reusable tools.

Quite satisfied with the results and total cost.

Still have to get the Koni yellows in though :)

Should be able to make it to Renegade next weekend (9/10), probably the last 2 events too.

Need to examine the rule book to see where I will even class as now :)

Edit:
Since I'm not sleeping at the moment anyway, was poking through the rules. Modifications are:
- Motor Mount upgrade (STR legal it looks like)
- A/C Delete (appears to be stock legal? There is a clarification for Stock in the Appendix, but says nothing about STR, and first reference in the main rules is in Street Prepared)
- Power Steering Delete (Only mentioned in Prepared, so only Prepared legal?)
- Removal of CA spec header cat and upgrade to Jackson Racing header (appears to be STR legal, if it's a 'conversion', which the only point I could see being a sticking point is if someone objects to where I ran the rear O2 sensor wiring, as it is apparently different than OEM 49 state legal, or that I don't have the FED sticker under the hood. I am emissions compliant in all new england states)
- Upgrading OEM cat to high flow cat (appears STR legal. Visually they look identical, so I'm sure it meets the 'same size and location' rule. Still emissions compliant, no codes, no codes hidden)

Plus the cat back and front sway bar that I know is stock legal.

So does the power steering delete put me into Prepared? 99's were possible with a manual rack I believe (even if insanely rare), so I'm guessing I would have to convert to that original trim across the whole car to be STR legal. Including that impossible to find manual rack. I'm going to expect that it's actually a disadvantage for tight Renegade courses. Enjoying it quite a bit for the street though.

Last edited:
If no A/C and PowerSteering is a package option from the factory then you are STR. If it's not, then you're C Street Prepared. :)

Back