Clicking while turning the wheel (stopped or moving slow)

Sean2010

:
2010 Mazda 3
Ok, so over the past few days i've noticed a clicking in my steering wheel when it is being turned. I can be stopped and it'll do it, i can be moving slowly and it'll do it.

Turn wheel a little bit, click....turn a bit more, click...and same goes for when i turn it back again. I don't think its axels cause it does it when it's stopped. I was told it may be the telescoping steering and to adjust it back and forth to "re grease" the area, but that didn't work either.

I have an appointment with mazda but it isn't for another week. I'd like to be able to diagnose it myself without having to bring it to them. Anyone else have this problem or know what possible parts may be the cause? The car is lowered 1.75" if that helps.

Hardy har har....ACTUAL advice would have been nice....and its not my MB's...they were replaced when I did my exhaust :p

you want actual advice? its damn near impossible to diagnose a "clicking" noise over the internets, especially since you never mention WHERE the noises are coming from. saying you have clicking when you turn the steering wheel means it could be anything between your hands and the ground - could even be your turn signal flasher for all i know.

you want actual advice? its damn near impossible to diagnose a "clicking" noise over the internets, especially since you never mention WHERE the noises are coming from. saying you have clicking when you turn the steering wheel means it could be anything between your hands and the ground - could even be your turn signal flasher for all i know.

True that i suppose. Its coming from what sounds to be the area near the bottom of the steering shaft. Almost between there and the transmission. I read on here about moving your telescoping steering around but that didn't work. I really hope it has something to do with the steering components and not suspension components cause then it can be fixed under warrantee.

we had a similar problem with our 5 when almost at full lock turning into a parking spot or driveway, but only when turning to the right. car had about 55k miles on it. it was the u joint. what did yours turn out to be? i know this is bringing this thread back from the dead, but i have a 2010 3 now and am wondering if it may be something to watch for in the future.

mine turned out to be that the repair shop didnt tighten the center nut on the top of the strut enough.

Back