Dislikes about your MAZDA 5

:
2012 Mazda5 Touring
I rented one for a week. Has many likes, here are some dislikes. What are your dislikes?

We still just bought a new one.

1) Everything is red at night, except speedo/rpm is white. Doesn't work for me

2) Only drivers window switch at night has light on. Nothing else. Hard to find the button at night.

3) Most glaring There is no switch (that I could find) while you drive, to turn on the rear interior lights :((sad1) I think that is a must have

4) The instrument cluster bright/dim button keeps "going and going" you can turn the knob whichever way and it never "stops."

Agree with you about the interior lights... definitely needs a switch, can't believe there isn't one. When I first got the car, I searched for like 15 minutes thinking "every car has this, it's got to somewhere...". Nope. For me they are as follows:

1. Wish there was a diesel engine option
2. Switchless rear interior lights... wow, really... like really??!! Not even on the light itself... c'mon!!
3. Wish the tailgate window could open... really great for carrying longer items without having to leave the whole gate open and figure out how to secure it closed. My first generation Matrix had this... very handy. Was also great for quick access to cargo area + stuffing the cargo area full without having to super quickly close the whole gate without anything tumbling out.

That's pretty much it.

2. Switchless rear interior lights... wow, really... like really??!! Not even on the light itself... c'mon!!.

Didn't understand this. The rear light has no switch? My rear light there is a switch on the light.

adding a few more

1. No engine coolant temp gauge

2) Transmission shifter selector too low

My 5 definitely has switches for the light at the light itself. I've never known that controlling the rear lights from the driver's area was a feature that exists, maybe in a regular minivan? My Corolla didn't have it, but I can definitely reach back there myself.

My 5 definitely has switches for the light at the light itself. I've never known that controlling the rear lights from the driver's area was a feature that exists, maybe in a regular minivan? My Corolla didn't have it, but I can definitely reach back there myself.

In bigger cars (vans) it is a nice feature to turn it on the rear..if a mom is sitting say third row..and babies in 2nd row..and you need the light

Sorry, yes I have a switch on the light... just so pissed about no driver control switch that it caused me to type crazy things. Not just a mini-van thing, this is first mini-van I've owned and the first car after the year 2001 that hasn't had a switch for the rear light for driver.

No temp gauge?? Really?, I own a 2007, and I've got one. Is this something they've changed? Actually... at a recent service they game me a new Mazda3 as a courtesy car... which didn't have the gauge, just a green temp symbol. Is this what you have? Does the symbol change colour as the car heats up?

No temp gauge?? Really?, I own a 2007, and I've got one. Is this something they've changed? Actually... at a recent service they game me a new Mazda3 as a courtesy car... which didn't have the gauge, just a green temp symbol. Is this what you have? Does the symbol change colour as the car heats up?

Yes the 2012 does NOT have a coolant temp gauge. As you start, there is a blue symbol lit up. Since I rented one for a week before buying, i was instantly nervous. Read the owners manual quickly.

It disappears once things "warm up"

Basically same symbol in RED comes on as idiot light, if car is over heating.

Yup 2012 lost the temp gauges, but I don't see an issue with the idiot lights. I rented a Toyota Echo that had idiot coolant temp lights.

Agreed on no driver control for the rear lights. My instrument cluster light control has stops at both ends, and I like the beep you get at either end..
Also agreed on not being able to open the rear glass.
Could use a few more cubby holes or places for storage..I mean, how many people are gonna put a laptop in that space in the glovebox?
If I have to flash the headlights and let the switch go quickly, the switch will go thru the detent and stop in the bright position without fail...

Dislikes:

no electric sliding door option - though the sliding doors open very easily
no electric power liftgate option - though it now opens with just a slight push upwards
no keyless start option - though putting the key in the ignition and turning on the car make it feel like it is still a car instead of a robot.

I think its noteworthy that the biggest issue is no interior light switch.
the temp gauge that my '09 has is not really a gauge; it just comes up to a pre-set point when its warmed up. I would really prefer a real temp gauge along w/ a voltage gauge and a oil pressure gauge at the very least.
and I would really like the 3rd middle row seat in the US like they have in Japan.

My instrument cluster light control has stops at both ends...
Wonder why they got rid of if on the 2012?

Dislikes:

no keyless start option - though putting the key in the ignition and turning on the car make it feel like it is still a car instead of a robot.
Our 2010 GT Miata has the keyless start, and it isn't a big deal really, for me.

4) The instrument cluster bright/dim button keeps "going and going" you can turn the knob whichever way and it never "stops."

I believe if you turn it all the way dim, and then all the way bright again it'll "beep" when it is at maximum brightness. Thats what it's like in the Gen2 Mz3's as i'm sure it's the same in your 5

I believe if you turn it all the way dim, and then all the way bright again it'll "beep" when it is at maximum brightness. Thats what it's like in the Gen2 Mz3's as i'm sure it's the same in your 5

Have not taken delivery of my 2012 Touring yet (will do Thursday), but in my 2012 Sport Rental, there is NO end on the button, you can continue to turn it forever. Trust me I tried.

Have not taken delivery of my 2012 Touring yet (will do Thursday), but in my 2012 Sport Rental, there is NO end on the button, you can continue to turn it forever. Trust me I tried.

lol....i believe you, cause mine does the same thing. It just won't get any brighter AFTER the beep.

lol....i believe you, cause mine does the same thing. It just won't get any brighter AFTER the beep.

Oh ok, I thought you were saying that there is a STOP to it.

On my sport it didn't beep. Will check it on my own car later this week. Could be rental defect.

I've been fairly well pleased with all three 5's we've owned. My biggest gripe is probably the 150 extra hp that is missing from the engine.

The two cupholders in between the seats are a bit shallow. Medium size drinks tend to fall over slightly when turning.

Back