Should I put in a high output alterator? PLEASE HELP

rlambert02

:
2005 Mazda 3 S (5 door)
I have a lot of added on electrical/audio equipment and I am currently in the process of upgrading my battery, but the main question is should I put in an HO alt?

I have heard many negative things about doing this such as frying electrical system/computer, and want to know if there's anyone who has an HO alt in their car and/or if they have had any problems.

And if you have successfully installed one with no problems then what kind do you have?

please any help would be great I need to figure out what to do!!!

i would go for a alternator with a little more power but nothing crazy, you are right you can fry the electrical systems and so on i belive that the stock one only puts out 75 amps but i could be wrong so i would double check and get one that is a little more amps to it nothing crazy and that will help you out as long as you are not pushing 16v thru your system hope this helps

I cant see why you couldnt, aside from fitments or availability of parts. The alternator doesnt actually power the vehicle, the battery does that. The alternator does nothing more than charge the battery

that being said, there should be no alternator that overpowers your system because everything is based on 12v. Imagine the charging system difference between a car running with no electronics and then turning everything on. Its the same alternator, but its barely working in one scenario and being overworked in another

the only BIG difference between alternators is whether its a delta wind or a wye wind. I cant remember which is which, but one is high amperage and the other is mainly for constant voltage. One is for semi trucks and the othr is for personal vehicles

id start by sticking with a Mazda or ford OEM part from a larger vehicle that has the same engine you do. Maybe the Mazda passenger van uses a bigger alternator than your 3, or even a Mazda6

I just cant imagine you would fry anything. And the ppl you heard from who did probably installed something wrong, or didnt follow the correct steps

you coukd also try just a deep cycle battery and see if that helps

ok thanks and i believe the stock alt puts out 95 amps and the mazda 5 or mazda minivan uses the exact alternator I believe

Do you know a good place to find a better alt. for the mazda 3? I found one on ebay from a top-rated seller and claims to be 200 amps but is only $240 which is a lot cheaper than other $400 ones, so i'm not sure if it would be a good alt.

Back