Grinding noise when coasting

:
2007 Mazda CX-9 Sport FWD
I just got back from a 1,000 mi or so road trip and now the front drivers side is grinding/vibrating when coasting at any speed. It doesn't happen when I accelerate or brake. It doesn't feel like a brake issue... help!!

mmmmm..... don't take it to a stealer for out of warranty brake/suspension work. Go to a reputable local mechanic who has good reviews either on google, on a website, or who has an A+ better business bureau rating.

Check to make sure the rotor shield has not been bent into the rotor. Had similar issue and it took a few ride by the service tech to duplicate the noise and find the bent shield. Straighten it out and problem solved - noise gone.

Stupid question: How are your rotors and pads? Is it possible they need replacing? My 6 squeals when I turned with bad brakes even without braking. Maybe pull the pads and put some stop-squeal on them and see what happens.

EDIT: Just noticed your from Milwaukee, welcome! Check out the WI section!

Last edited:
I just got back from a 1,000 mi or so road trip and now the front drivers side is grinding/vibrating when coasting at any speed. It doesn't happen when I accelerate or brake. It doesn't feel like a brake issue... help!!

What was your solution? Mine is doing the exact same thing. 2009 CX-9 GT with 40k miles.

Back