shifting problems

96superneon

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
when my car heats up shifting into first gear is almost impossible. Makes stop and go traffic more unpleasant than usual. Any ideas on what could be wrong? i put a short shifter on a couple of years ago fyi.

i replaced mine with new spec clutch and flywheel a year ago? could it be bad already?

Last edited:
I have the same problem... ONLY when its really hot outside though... Mine's all stock

hmmm, so sounds like i need to check into shifter bushings and a throw out bearing... thanks guys! oh and i have the cosmo racing short shifter, i even cut 3 inches off the top just to make it look better. the cosmo shifter was taller than my stock one.

It isn't the throw out bearing. The clutch master and/or the clutch slave is going out. I just replaced both of mine and it shifts like a dream now.

I did originally think it was that but since it was only happening when the temps were above 80 degrees F, I suspected it to be something else.

I also replaced the clutch line to the Corksport Stainless Steel line and make the experience even better...

In the meantime to get it to shift into 1st. Pump (slowly) the clutch pedal once or twice and it should engage.

My clutch master cylinder was leaking. I replaced it a couple months ago and every now and then (when the weather is hot) first gear is nearly impossible to shift into. Today i went out and adjusted the rod behind the clutch and it feels SO MUCH BETTER!

Back