GRM Tire Review

Joker2

:
2011 Mazda 2 Sport 5 MT
Grassroots Motorsports just did a tire test using their Tire Rack Autocross MX-5.

They evaluated the following tires:
  1. Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
  2. Hankook Ventus R-S3 Z222
  3. Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
  4. Kumho Ecsta XS
  5. Toyo Proxes R1R
  6. Yokohama Advan AD08

Time-wise they finished in this order:
Kooks, Yokos, Toyos, Kumhos, Stones, Dunlops.
On a 55 second course they were within 1 second of each other, so for street duty other factors may prevail, such as price, wet weather handling, response, longevity, etc.

Quite a few of these tires are available in sizes that fit our shoes 195/50-15 or 205/50-15.

Now I am torn as I have to decide what best fits my incoming 15x7 wheels.
Hmmm! Decisions, decisions.

What do you think?

If I could do it over, I'd go with the Yoko AD08's or (Falken RT615). RE-11's are sticky but HEAVY by several pounds which slows down a little 100HP car.

I just picked up a set of Kumho XS, so after Saturday when I have them mounted I'll give my review. I used the Grassroots comparison to help make my decision.

I went for the Yokos in 205-50-15.
Quieter than the Avids overall and stiffer sidewalls make some road imperfections more noticeable. I guess these wheel protectors will protect my new wheels. Lots more grip in the summer (do not use these in cold weather boys and girls) and the ABS no longer works as hard on bumpy streets with my driving style (or should I say stopping style?).
Next month, autocross in ST class I guess, will post review and results (unless I really suck).

Since I'd like to stay with either the stock tire size or 195/50-15, I've been thinking of the Yokohama S.Drives myself when it's time for replacement. I live in FL and have used summer tires all year round so I know I'll be fine but what do you guys think about them? Sorry if I'm thread jacking a bit, just wondering though :)

I got the Advan 08s not the S-drives. I think that the S-drives are a better all around tire while the Advan AD08 is a more focused track/autocross/daily driver tire.

I went about 7,000 miles on half-life 195/50/15 R1Rs on the OEM wheels after switching them over from my last car, I love those tires so much it's almost sad. I just picked up 15x7 K1s and the 195/50/15 Star Specs just arrived today. I'm trying them out, giving them a chance..... I will post up my impressions at first and then also after I take it to Gingerman on Labor day! :)

(car is my DD and only mod is rear torsion bar)

So just FYI. I was going to go with the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1s (they only weight 18lbs) 195/50/R15, because Goodyear (Dunlop) has a special deal going on through the end of July: $80 rebate on set of 4, or $160 rebate if you use your Goodyear card (which has 0% interest for 6 mos). AWESOME DEAL!

So, I qualified for a Goodyear Card, but couldnt find anyplace in town that could order the Z1's in 195/50/R15; it wasnt even showing in their computer. After a call to Dunlop, it turns out that TireRack has a exclusive license to sell the 15" rim size. and of course, they dont take Goodyear Card :( So dont go get a card and think you can get $160 off of a set of Z1s unless its for a different car or you need an oversized tire.

Last edited:
That's no good. Sorry to hear. Thanks for the heads-up though. You still going to get the Z1's? If so I'd call tire rack and tell them your story, they might help you out a bit.

Not sure what I'm going to go with. The Z1s and Kumho XS are the only tires that come in a 195/50 or 205/50 that are lightweight (18lbs and 19lbs according to Tirerack). I have a Firestone card already, so if RE-11s come on a good sale, i MIGHT be willing to go that route and pick them up locally... but I hear they can be heavier than advertised (20 - 21lbs), so I would want them on a lighter wheel than stock to make up for the weight difference.

I dont really NEED tires right now, and dont really have a whole lotta' extra cash this month. I was planning on using the 6mos 0% interest and $160 rebate of the Goodyear card.... Not really that great of deal without it. I was just going to take advantage of the sale while it was going on. Who knows, probably gonna pick up a set of wheels and tires in September if nothing strikes my interest by then.

I just got the Kumho XS. They are awesome. Having used Falken Azenis 615's for a long time, I can honestly say these are leaps and bounds beyond them when it comes to overall performance. As for the tire weight, here is my long-winded theory I used, you can skip to the next paragraph where I cut to the chase. Using an 18lbs Star Spec vs. a 21lbs RE-11, a total of 12 extra lbs per tire is not a whole lot. Before I bought my Konig Britelite's, which weigh 12lbs each I was considering a set of Enkei RPF1's. The RPF1's weigh in at 9.5 lbs and come as a 15x7, all for about $199 a corner. My Konig's are only $89.00 a pop. Yeah they are 6.5 inches versus 7 inches wide, and there 3.5 lbs heavier a corner, but is that worse than paying over $400.00 more?

I am not out to win a national autox championship in my 2. Having the Konig/Kumho combo will still let me be really competitive, all while saving some money.

I plan on getting the 195 star specs. Since my 2 is going to be my DD the 195 star specs will have plenty of grip and be nice and light. Plus they are slightly smaller diameter. Lastly I know form my RE-11's that the tires need heat to be really grippy. With he 195's being skinnier you should be able to get heat into them and keep them warm easier, on those sporting drives. I loved the RE-11's, but on the team dynamics wheels they weight a lot and I could definitely tell a difference on my Miata. I put them in the 2 and didn't notice the weight as much but still, as an engineer I know about the weight in the back of my head and it bugs me.

So stock tires are 16lbs (according to TireRack) does anybody know how much the stock 15" alloys weigh?

Couldnt seem to find a definite answer...

Not sure what I'm going to go with. The Z1s and Kumho XS are the only tires that come in a 195/50 or 205/50 that are lightweight (18lbs and 19lbs according to Tirerack). I have a Firestone card already, so if RE-11s come on a good sale, i MIGHT be willing to go that route and pick them up locally... but I hear they can be heavier than advertised (20 - 21lbs), so I would want them on a lighter wheel than stock to make up for the weight difference.
R1R's come in a 195/50, I've had 2 sets so far. I usually get them from here, best price I could find... but looks they are currently out of stock. http://www.tiresdirect.net/TOYO_Proxes_R1R_195_50R15_82V_P4715C885.cfm PS: I put 15k on them (140treadwear!) on my Miata with -2* of camber all around and flipped them once. Awesome tire, unstoppable in the rain until they wear way down.
I've never weighed them, though. I also think they'd be better on a 8" wide rim as both 6.5" and 7" have worn the centers first no matter what pressure I try and run (I think they bulge on the rim a bit).

So stock tires are 16lbs (according to TireRack) does anybody know how much the stock 15" alloys weigh?

Couldnt seem to find a definite answer...
I will weigh them when I get the R1Rs dismounted! :)

Ok, thanks! I had looked at the R1R, but was (for some reason) thinking it was a 100 tread wear... Hmm nice to know it's 140 and legal for ST autos class.

Toyo has them listed for 19.6lbs, but it sounds like the treadwear is awesome! Thanks, will consider them!

Last edited:
Update on Advan 08s: Went camping this weekend and the tires handled the gravel roads as well as the rain. While I did not push them to the limit, I feel that I can run some roads as hard as I can the Miata with RE-11s. Quite happy here. The stiff sidewalls transfer more stuff through the suspension and I have a slight vibe at ~72 mph (need to get them re-balanced). Very happy with tire choice so far. Can't wait for autocross next month!

Back