Battery alternator cap? please help!!

rlambert02

:
2005 Mazda 3 S (5 door)
first off im powering 2 rockford P315's, a hifonics 1700 amp, a P200-2 amp, punch 6.5 speakers, 2 farad capacitor, interior LED's (under dashboard), 12k HIDs, underglow kit and i thinks about it. (and may upgrade to much more powerful system BTW)

But the problem is I'm still running it all off factory batter, which just completely died, and factory 95 amp alternator.

I have heard many different things about what do but need to know whats best!?

First off which battery should i put in? was thinking about either a optima redtop or kinetik hc1400(biggest that'll fit or id go bigger) and I was thinking about upgrading alternator to a high output 200 amp alt. but this guy at the shop i take my car to said to just do the redtop and put in something called a CAP (not sure what it is cuz he said he wasnt talking about a capacitor but something different) and he said then if i did that i probably wouldnt need to upgrade the alternator....

So please someone give me some answers on what do, any ideas/opinions help especially some professional ones from mechanics, professional installers, etc.

first off im powering 2 rockford P315's, a hifonics 1700 amp, a P200-2 amp, punch 6.5 speakers, 2 farad capacitor, interior LED's (under dashboard), 12k HIDs, underglow kit and i thinks about it. (and may upgrade to much more powerful system BTW)

But the problem is I'm still running it all off factory batter, which just completely died, and factory 95 amp alternator.

I have heard many different things about what do but need to know whats best!?

First off which battery should i put in? was thinking about either a optima redtop or kinetik hc1400(biggest that'll fit or id go bigger) and I was thinking about upgrading alternator to a high output 200 amp alt. but this guy at the shop i take my car to said to just do the redtop and put in something called a CAP (not sure what it is cuz he said he wasnt talking about a capacitor but something different) and he said then if i did that i probably wouldnt need to upgrade the alternator....

So please someone give me some answers on what do, any ideas/opinions help especially some professional ones from mechanics, professional installers, etc.

Wow

Uh, yeah, a cap, is a cap
If you dont understand what you are listening thru, thats fine, but stick with the same tard
2 caps isnt better than one

And if you are running a sys with high current needs, then u need a bigger alternator

TANSTAFL

I think the guy was refering to a BatCap....Awesome little batteries/capacitors. If you are going to buy an Optima battery, the Red Top is not the right choice for your needs...You need the Yellow Top. What I would do (and I have a ridiculously LOUD stereo in my MS3) is buy the Yellow Top Optima AND a BatCap for the hatch. The BatCap not only acts as a battery, but is also a capacitor, which you need to run that equipment. Just my 2 cents man!!!

Also, the Kinetik and Stinger batteries are an awesome choice. If you plan on upgrading your stereo anymore than what you mentioned, it is a good idea to upgrade the alternator to 140 AMPS or more

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thanks man. do you have an upgraded alt in your car? and I was thinking about putting in an XS s3400 battery but not sure if it will cuz im away from car till august, you know if 10" in length will fit?

I'm not sure. But if it doesn't, the worst case scenario is you might have to ditch a couple of the battery box plastic panels

Back