why is there oil on my knock sensor but apparently not the oil pressure sender?

AndyRx7

I'm trying to locate an oil leak, and running into something funny. The oil pressure sender looks clean, but the knock sensor above it is covered in oil. I'm under the impression the knock sensor couldn't be leaking because it's just bolted to the outside of the block. Is it possible the pressure sender is leaking but nevertheless looks clean, and spitting oil onto the knock sensor above it? Or do I have another oil leak somewhere? Thanks for any advice.

Wow, what a coincidence, I was looking at my knock sensor the other day and noticed that the back of it was covered with a brown substance which looked a lot like oil. I had the same reaction as you, until I touched it. I think that's meant to be there, the brown stuff felt rubbery, not oily at all. I think it's just a protective coating with an unfortunate coloring.

Here's a pic of the rear of a brand new one:
mTbBN.jpg

Mine looked more brown than black, but you get the idea.

Thanks for your reply - that's really funny indeed, and I never would have thought. Next time I'm under there, I'll try the touch test. Back to the drawing board with this oil consumption problem then!

The oil looking gum on the back of the sensor. Usually it gets gummy and the sensor may be good, sometimes it almost melts completely off. When the latter occurs the sensor needs to be change, it sometimes creates shuddering in the car on take off from a stop.

Back from the dead,....

I've been wondering about the goo on my knock sensor too and I'm wondering whether it's a sign of a bad knock sensor.

I don't think our ECU's check for actual data flow from the sensor in order to set off a MIL (as far as I can tell,... there is no CEL # for that with our car) just the proper resistance. (ie. I'm thinking the sensor can put out no or weak data and there is no test (that I'm aware of) to test for actual data flow). I'm planning on unplugging the sensor to make sure my CEL goes off, Then plug in a 550 kohm resistor to the harness to prove that the ECU thinks the sensor is fine (proper resistance no data flow.)

Reference pic:
I'm thinking that the accelerometer inside of our goo covered sensor is maybe "seized up" and not sending data.

knocksensor_zpsca4e5454.jpg

Last edited:
Back