2009 Mazda5 Rear Tailgate License Plate Bulb Replacement

Open the tailgate pry the upper edge of the interior panel (large hatch) below the window. The upper edge and sides pulls stright off as it is held with friction clips. the bottm edge is held with blades. Once top and sides are released just pull upwards (toward the rear window) Inside at the licence plate lights (follow the wires)
give the connector half turn and pull the socket inwards. Pull bulb and replace. Alwasys a good idea not to touch bulbs directly, use a tissue or something so you dont transfer any human oils or contamination that can shorten their life.

For my 2008 Mazda 5, this is almost correct. Thanks for the tip to pry near the window first! Trying to pry he "blades" at the bottom was not progressing as I hoped. In typical Mazda fashion, they make the simple things difficult and intricate. When I tried to turn the bulb socket, it didn't move. I first tried my fingers to no avail, then a pliers. To properly remove the bulb socket, one needs to stick a very small, thin flathead screwdriver (or toothpick?) along the outer edge of the tiny spring clip of each side before removing.

Last edited:
Back